Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken

ScottinKC
ScottinKC Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing it again this weekend. Looking for any slight variations to my basic set up that each of you like. Let me know your recipes.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Scottinkc,
    What is your basic setup?

• Scottinkc,
    Only had my egg for 2 months but beer can chicken has been my favorite thing to do so far. I use apple wood for smoke and DP Tsunami Spin for rub. It you don't have the DP use Mccormick herb chickenrub. Not the same taste but also comes out good. Dont forget to Rub EEVO on the outside

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Scottinkc,
    For a change of pace, I did beer butt game hens. As I teach high school, many of my students start the day with one of the energy drinks that comes in the small can ... just the right size for the little chickens. Have done them with beer and wine ... both work well. I can get 4 of them on my small and who knows how many on my large.[p]Doc

• Scottinkc,
    Herbs de Provence Beer Can Chicken:[p]BEER CAN CHICKEN: Get your egg & stone platform heated to 375 degree’s. Beer can chicken stands are available but not necessary. Use your favorite wood chips.
    You can buy the French Herb "herbs de provence" blend at most grocery stores. Be sure to buy the high quality stuff...cheap herbs are usually old and flavorless.[p]Ingredients:
    Approximately 3.5lb whole chicken
    3-5 tablespoon’s of herb’s de provence
    2 tablespoons of kosher salt
    3- tablespoons (or more…careful not to use too much, It’ll catch on fire. Use just enough olive oil so it’s not dripping all over) of extra virgin olive oil-works best because of it’s low burning point. It’s makes for a really crispy skin.
    Fresh ground pepper to taste[p]Directions:
    Wash and dry chicken thoroughly inside and out.
    Rub olive oil all over bird inside and out then rub kosher salt inside and out to taste and finally pepper
    Rub herb’s de provence all over (rub the herbs in your hands prior to applying them on the bird)
    ½ of a beer in the can (you can’t waste the other half so you must drink it)
    Place the bird over the can on the grill with the stone in place and pre-heated and prop up the legs in front of bird.
    Close Green Egg lid and cook for 45 minutes before checking. Adjust temperature if needed when bird appears to be burning (not likely). Cook another 15-25 minutes or until juice from bird is clear.
    When bird is done, remove from grill and cover with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving. [p]Hope you like this recipe as much as I do![p]

• amoncada,
    what kind of beer do you recomend for your beer can chicken. i like all kinds, but not pale ales or indian pale ales.