Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doc Chickens Rob Roast - another successful effort

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night saw the egg cooking a 5 pound bone in rib roast. Used Doc Chickens recipe again and as I expected, pure ambrosia. I tell you, if you've not tried that recipe, its worth every penny you spend on the hunk of beef. It tastes WONDERFUL. Nothing special at home last night, two sick kids, long week of work, so I decided to surprise the wife with it.[p]Followed the recipe to a T, only thing is that the recipe that Doc posted in the recipe section doesnt say HOW MUCH salt to use to pack onto the roast to make the crust. I mixed about 1/2 cup of coarse salt with the other ingredients and used a bit more water to make the paste. He emailed the recipe to me before he posted it and I got my reference from that, not sure if thats the right amount for all roasts but it worked for the size roast I had.[p]The only other variation is that I cooked it at 575 for about an hour. This made a nice outer crust and a nice rare middle. The wife is more fond of medium, I like rare so it worked out perfect. Internal temp was 135 when I pulled it, 140 when I served it.[p]I used an indirect setup with 2 bricks laid flat on the grill, stone on that, then a drip pan and a rib rack on top of that. Kinda quirky but it workes well for this. The meat looks like its a total loss about 3/4 of the way through the cook but once you peel that charred crust of salt off the meat, the outer meat all the way through the roast is just PERFECT.[p]Definitely worth a shot if you've not tried it. The roast ain't cheap but think of it some night instead of going out for dinner, its well worth the price of admission I guarantee it.[p]Thanks for sharing this one Doc, its a real winner.[p]Troy

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Thanks for the info. I did a bone-in rib roast the conservative way a while back - didn't want to ruin a pricey bit of beef.[p]This post makes me want to try the salt-crust and see what all the fuss is about.[p]

• sprinter, did you use cheesecloth?

• sprinter,[p]The secret is to add an egg white with the salt to form a good paste for the salt crust. You can break it off and big chunks come off easily. I learned this from the best chefs.[p]Love this forum. People are so nice and helpful.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    sprinter, I look at the recipe (link below) and have a couple of questions:
    1. The ingredients do not say how much rock salt to use. How much did you use and did you crush it?
    2. On a previous post on salt, it state dthat roick salt was "not for human consumption". DId you use rock salt or substitute another? I've eaten enough rock salt from the ice cream churn (as a kid) to know it won't kill you but I just want to know.[p]

[ul][li]Dr. Chicken's Old English Style Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    sprinter,
    Thankyou Troy for another vote of Confidence! I hope no hanging chads or dimpled chads got in the way! :-)))

I submitted this recipe right before Bill Miller was struck so suddenly. I was in the process of working with him to correct it the day before he passed away, and very shortly after that I wound up in the hospital for nearly a month!
    I apologize to all of you who have viewed the recipe or have tried the recipe for not correcting it! [p]I use about 2 cups of rock salt for a 5 lb. prime rib roast for the coating. If I have left over, I just pitch it. Like you mentioned Troy, you have to have just enough extra moisture to make the rock salt into a tacky coating. It will then adhere to the out side of the roast. [p]This recipe is a winner! I have received many comments from regular and not-so regular forum users concerning their results! I appreciate the comments very much! Thank you! All of you![p]If there are other questions that people have concerning this recipe and/or others, please feel free to contact me by e-mail. I will follow-up with an answer as soon as posssible![p]Thanks again Troy for your kind words![p]Dr. Chicken