Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza dough question!

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about ten people coming over on Saturday for Bass fishing!
I need to know how to make pizza dough for 10 pizzas. I use a bread maker, (I am not doing it by hand) and when I refrigerate the dough... it is very stiff, for hours after I bring it out of the frig.
Any one help me on how to get multiple pizza doughs ready? My recipe in the bread machine makes for 2 great oh... 10" pizzas with nice crust.
I know, you are all thinking... "what the hell is she doing cooking pizza when they have bass coming in"![p]1st. I have bragged about my pizza on the egg, they are hungry for it!
2nd. (my point of view) Will they actually get any fish, there for, cook some pizza!
3rd. Cook the pizza, and "if" they happen to catch anything, bonus, will cook it up when the egg cools down abit![p]any way, just need a little help with the dough![p]thanks
gayle

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    Aren't bread machines great! I use one too and after finding the recipe on The Naked Whiz's website I use it way more often. It's the Breadman Ultimate I believe.[p]I add 2 TBs Italian seasoning to the recipe and add one extra TB of EVOO. You can sprinkle garlic salt on the crust too. Get all sorts of crazy if you dare! LOL.[p]The dough does get hard overnight in the fridge but I find it WAY more managable that way. I'll take it out, cut it in half and knead each half into a 12" circle. By the time the egg is warmed up and I add sauce and toppings it's good to go.
    Making it thin allows it to cook faster so it really doesn't take much more time on the egg.[p]I don't have a peel or anything - just slide it off a cookie sheet using another cookie sheet. The cold dough really shows it's worth here as I've never had one stick and they always turn out great.[p]I've only done four in a row like this but I am confident that 10 is possible.

[ul][li]TNW pizza page[/ul]
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    hayhonker,
    did you find that extra bit of evoo helped make it more manageable? [p]gayle

• hayhonker
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    nah not really. just more tastier :) It managed like playdough from me youth.

• hayhonker
    Options
    smokn gramma g,[p]let me elaborate on 'manageable'...warm dough is certainly softer but I find that it fights me and tries to return to a shape so if I don't somehow start with a perfect circle, it's a lot harder to end up at one.[p]The chilled dough is more easily persuaded into a round form for me. I don't need a rolling pin with the cold dough. Just 'pound it round' with my palms.[p]I hope they get lucky with the bass!!!
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    hayhonker,
    I pound my dough as well with my fists! But I find the cold dough just doesnt like to be stretched![p]As for the fishermen! Will let you know! I wont hold my breath! Not that I know how to cook bass(so pizza is good) , will have to read up on that!
    thanks
    Gayle

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    smokn gramma g,[p]I would depart here and suggest you buy the dough at the supermarket or even better a local pizza shop. 10 pizzas worth of dough is a lot of dough to make without a industral stand mixer. My Kitchenaid mixer is really taxed when I do enough dough for 4 pizzas. I usually let it rest during the prep for at least 10 min as it begins to overheat.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Are you using bread flour or regular flour? I found that bread flour does exactly what you said when cold. I switched back to regular flour and now when cold, can be easily stretched out.