Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie question regarding ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but I am still trying to figure out how to cook ribs on my new large egg--I've done it a few times with mixed results. I've reviewed the recipes on the site, etc, but they seem to be missing some of the subtleties embedded in the forum posts. What is the 3-1-1 method? Can they be made in advance and reheated? I am new to the egg, but I know how to cook, if French food counts. I'd be using side ribs, a home-made rub, and normally I would also brine. Many thanks, from Toronto!

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Marc,[p]Here is how I do it. Peel the membrane off the bone side of the ribs. If they are whole slabs, trim the knucles off, Slather a light coating of mustard sprinkle with the rub of your choice, wrap slab with plastic wrap and store in fridge overnight. Start fire with hickory chips intermixed with the lump in one spot in the cernter. Place platesetter legs up on fire ring with a drip pan and the cooking grid. Stabalize egg temp @ a dome temp of 250-275 for an hour. Place ribs on grill for 3 hours (I use a rib rack to stand them up). After 3 hours wrap ribs in foil with some apple juice and place back on the grill for an hour. Unwrap, coat ribs in BBQ sauce place back on the grill for an hour to set the sauce. Wrap in foil and rest for 15 min prior to serving. If you want to reheat, save the last step for the reheat time. I would not brine ribs, save the brine for turkeys. I would start with a good commercial rub like Dizzy Pig. The rub is very important. Don't freak, this ain't a souffle, it is just fire and meat cooked low and slow.
  • Why1504,
    Thanks!!