Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Any pizza stone?

Big MurthBig Murth Posts: 350
edited 3:38PM in EggHead Forum
Just got the ceramic plate sitter. Can I use my old pizza stone? Is a stone a stone? Or do you have to get a BGE stone? This one's rectangular, 14.5X12in., so it fits on my large Egg fine. Also, any hints or suggestions on using the plate sitter for recommended or required indirect heating would be welcome. Thanks folks!!

Comments

• MopMop Posts: 496
    Big Murth, use your old stone on top of your plate setter.....less apt to have "hot spots" on your stone....[p]Mop!

• SippiSippi Posts: 83
    Mop,Is it better or even necessary to use two stones with a plate setter?

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,457
    Big Murth,
    My old stone works well (Pizza Gourmet I think). TimM said it was the same thickness as his BGE stone. Most of the thinner ones won't hold up well when exposed to the direct heat of the hot coals, but your place setter will help a lot. [p]TimM's site has a great picture of using the plate setter upside down for indirect setups. Yell if you need a link.[p]Hope that helps
    Cheers!!! NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Sippi,[p]
    Yes, absolutely use both. If it is a good stone it will hold up. If not it will crack.[p]Tim

• RotorRotor Posts: 53
    Mop,[p]You got me on this one too. What's a plate setter? Why do you use it? I got the BGE pizza stone (bought it to try pizza but I love it for indirect smoking![p]Dave