Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flap meat

Options
Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Costco has a cut of beef that they call flap meat, or maybe loin flap meat. It closely resembles the hanger steak -- its long and narrow, resembles the texture of flank steak and has a strip of gristle running down the center. The folks behind the screen didn't know whether it was the same or not. I've not found flap meat mentioned on any of the obvious websites so I'm asking here . . . does anyone know if the Costco cut is the same as hanger?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Haggis,
    check out this link ... it is neither hanger, nor skirt, nor flap (assuming its labeled correctly). . ..[p]btw...here is a pic of whole hanger steaks that i buy at union meats. ..[p]DSCN1599.jpg

[ul][li]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/03/16/FDG2BBNBS01.DTL[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    whoops, i meant its neither hanger, skirt or FLANK . . ..
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks, Max. I thought I recalled seeing hanger at Union Meat but didn't try it. It appears to me that there is a real diversity of opinion on this cut -- The article says that flap is available at Costco in 2-4 pound pieces which is not what I saw there. They had a package of maybe 5 or 6 pieces that couldn't have been more than 1/2 pound each. And what Costco had very much resembled what I saw at Whole Foods but didn't resemble the photo you posted from Union Meats. [p]BTW, we've bought a bunch of flat iron from Union - very tasty with Red Eye Express. Seems we oughta get them to sell DP rubs! [p]BTW#2: was that your trophy on their shelf? Bill said he hadn't gotten any samples from your brisket but then Roy spoke up and said he'd had some. You trying to start a war down there? ;-)