Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

questions about cooking temperatures/times

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just inherited a green egg from my father. The only info I have is a dealer's brochure which asserts that the device roasts, smokes, and will also replace my charcoal grill for searing steaks and so forth. HOW? If I want to grill my steaks on the green egg, how hot should it be and about how long will I need to cook an inch-and-a-half thick steak? Does anyone have a guide which points out various cooking temperatures and times -- or the experience to provide me with a starting point? 'Looking forward to your responses -- Susan Mann, smann@towson.edu

Comments

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Susan Mann,
    Your looking in the right place for answers. Basic advice is take to cookbook that comes with the BGE and use it as a fire starter - it is misleading and far more information can be found here on the forum.[p]Steaks - depends on how you like them cooked. I usually cook them at 600 degrees (a lot of folks here like it much hotter than that). I cook them three minutes on each side with the bottom vent open all the way and the top vent cover removed. I then close the bottom vent and place the rain cap on the top and let the steaks dwell for another 3 minutes or so for medium rare (with a 1" steak). Probably want a dwell of 3.5-4 minutes for a 1-1/2" steak.[p]The forum here is a wealth of information. You can search the archives on steak and find out lots of information.[p]Mr Beer

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Susan Mann, lucky you. Now you've just got to play with it a bit. Basics are that thye more the bottom and top vents are open the higher the temerature. Some people control the temeprature by leaving the top vent wide open (no cover, no daisy wheel) and using only the bottom vent. Even a 1/4" opening in the bottom vent is enough to keep the temperature around 300. Temepratures can be controlled from 200 to about 800 using the vents. Keeping the temperature stable at around 200 may be difficult but from 275 up, it is usually pretty easy. As you have questions, come back and ask. Somewhere, somebody is just ready to give you an answer.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Susan Mann,[p]The fact you have no manual with the Egg is a blessing in disguise. This website will provide you with all the answers - you need only ask. You will often get many answers and some may conflict with others, this is because there is a huge variation in the way you want something to end up and taste compared to others. There is no one "right way" to do much but rather many ways to get the job done. Pick what sounds good to you and try several ways to see how they compare.[p]I started a website a few years ago to help new folks "see" pictures of the Egg and the many accessories (store bought and home made) that work for the Egg. Feel free to vist the link below to my site (http://www.tm52.com/bge) and I am sure it will give some help to you. Be sure to visit the "new Users Section". Also, GFW has a site that will also help give you some starting ideas. His is http://bbq.yyyz.net/[p]Welcome to the Egg family of good cook'n[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's website and cookbook[/ul]
  • Susan Mann, and if your inherited egg has a lid that
    "clicks" into an open position, with a little lever
    hidden off the back hinge, never ever try to force it
    closed, lest you egg pops its lid!