Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hot Peppers and the BGE

Shawn MShawn M Posts: 5
edited 12:41AM in EggHead Forum
Has anybody done dried hot peppers in the BGE? I am interested in making Chipoltes.[p]Shawn M
·

Comments

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Shawn M,[p]The Egg will do a nice job on chipotles. The traditional recipe calls for red jalapenos instead of green. I've done both with great results. [p]Smoke them direct at 250-275* dome for 4 to 5 hours until thoroughly dry. In the absence of pimento wood, I use apple chips. Remove seeds and ribs before smoking or they will be REALLY potent.[p]Good luck,[p]K~G
    pepper.gif

·
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Shawn M,[p]Kenny G gave you good advice. I took all of the misc. peppers leftover in the garden at the end of last year and smoked them. I ended up with about 6 gallon ziplock bags of smoked peppers from jalepenos to poblanos to cayenne even. They're great and add a nice smoky flavor to everything you put them in. Slow roasted them for about 5 hours, indirect, at 225-250 with cherry wood.[p]Troy
    ·
  • KennyG,[p]Thank you for the information. I will try making chipotles with next years pepper crop.[p]Shawn M.

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Shawn M,
    If you stem & seed them first, work outside or in a well-ventilated area & remember to wear gloves. JCA

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    KennyG,
    I've got some pimento we can play with if you come to Michigan Feb. 10th. I'll make some conch fritters & Planter's Punch, too! ...Rum make you glad, Mon. JCA

·
  • Shawn M,
    Heck ya...
    I wash em, cut the stems off and smoke them up. They usually take about 4 hours to get them nice and dry. I usually use Peach or Apricot...ads a nice sweet flavor to them ;)..then I put them in the grider a bit at a time, and grind em up and throw em in a pepper shaker (collectable of course collected at a garage sale)[p]Makes the best stuff this side of the pecos...[p]SS

[ul][li]Ma's[/ul]
    ·