Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hot Peppers and the BGE

Shawn MShawn M Posts: 5
edited 5:38AM in EggHead Forum
Has anybody done dried hot peppers in the BGE? I am interested in making Chipoltes.[p]Shawn M
·

Comments

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Shawn M,[p]The Egg will do a nice job on chipotles. The traditional recipe calls for red jalapenos instead of green. I've done both with great results. [p]Smoke them direct at 250-275* dome for 4 to 5 hours until thoroughly dry. In the absence of pimento wood, I use apple chips. Remove seeds and ribs before smoking or they will be REALLY potent.[p]Good luck,[p]K~G
    pepper.gif

·
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Shawn M,[p]Kenny G gave you good advice. I took all of the misc. peppers leftover in the garden at the end of last year and smoked them. I ended up with about 6 gallon ziplock bags of smoked peppers from jalepenos to poblanos to cayenne even. They're great and add a nice smoky flavor to everything you put them in. Slow roasted them for about 5 hours, indirect, at 225-250 with cherry wood.[p]Troy
    ·
  • KennyG,[p]Thank you for the information. I will try making chipotles with next years pepper crop.[p]Shawn M.

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Shawn M,
    If you stem & seed them first, work outside or in a well-ventilated area & remember to wear gloves. JCA

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    KennyG,
    I've got some pimento we can play with if you come to Michigan Feb. 10th. I'll make some conch fritters & Planter's Punch, too! ...Rum make you glad, Mon. JCA

·
  • Shawn M,
    Heck ya...
    I wash em, cut the stems off and smoke them up. They usually take about 4 hours to get them nice and dry. I usually use Peach or Apricot...ads a nice sweet flavor to them ;)..then I put them in the grider a bit at a time, and grind em up and throw em in a pepper shaker (collectable of course collected at a garage sale)[p]Makes the best stuff this side of the pecos...[p]SS

[ul][li]Ma's[/ul]
    ·