Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's a Boy!...(I think)

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Both_eggs_open.jpg
<p />This afternoon, I braved the cold and installed my new toy along side old faithful. He won't be lonely anymore. Tomorrow, I plan to break Junior in with some chops and small red potatoes.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Carl T,[p] I am looking at the hinge & don't quite understand what I am looking at. Is that the way the new small egg work or have you changed the design in soom way or another?[p]Earl
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Earl,[p]I was wondering the same thing. I have not had any problems with my mini (hinge), but alway interested in what people have done![p]Smokey
  • Carl T
    Options
    Small_egg_hinge_prop.jpg
    <p />smokey,[p]The hinge on my small was so tight, I had to pull the dome up and push it closed. It would only open to about 45 degrees. Being someone who cannot leave well enough alone, I removed the side brackets and installed a limit chain and prop. The dome now opens effortlessly and it opens to the same degree as the large. The brass chain keeps the dome from opening past the point where the daisy would fall off.I call it my "Semi Auto Lock Hinge".[p]Carl T

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Carl T,
    Good job Carl T, on both the table and the hinge . I like to see real innovations that work. I wonder what and why the hinges were so tight to begin with? Out of the ordinary!
    C~W

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Char-Woody, you said the tight hinges were out of the ordinary...well my small must have been made the same day, because after 6 months it still is a bear! I have tried to check all the angles and planes and can find nothing out of the ordinary. Have tried WD40. Have tried repeatedly opening and closing thinking that would loosen. Still nothing, but like Carl when I lift the lid I lift the whole egg front up messing up the green feet alignment. I've just gotten into the habit of opening and immediately (with a glove on of course) pushing down on the bootom while pushing up on the top. Isn't that the way a lion tamer does it? The hinge has never nor acts like it could ever go perfectly straight and lock. Instead it binds like a couple dog legs. Maybe he has the right idea in taking a hack saw to it, but it shouldn't have to be!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Carl T,
    I know exactly you mean about too tight hinges. My small egg is over a year old and I hardly ever use it because of the top . It rocks and moves around every time you open it and like you say, it only opens about half way even then. Actually, I have thought of cutting off the hinges also and making some sort of a prop rod but never had the gumption to do it, :-)
    But maybe now I will, but I wish BGE would come up with a new locking band or something to replace the present set up.
    JMO, so congratulations on your new Egg I'm sure you will love it.
    later,
    ChefRD

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Carl T, I just have to ask, from the picture it appears your small was never used, but you cut off the hinge before trying it?...inquiring minds (have spare time this afternoon!)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carl T
    Options
    RRP,[p]My new small acted exactly as you described yours does. Keep in mind, I only removed the two side "dog legs". All the tension was in those. I left the rear hinge in place. It is very smooth now that the two side brackets are gone. It really wasn't that difficult. I removed the bands and drilled out the steel rivet type pins that held the two dog legs to the bands. I used all stainless steel nuts and bolts with brass "S" hooks and brass chain. The prop is a piece of aluminum angle. I like the "L" shape of the angle as it will not get knocked out of place if it gets bumped mildly. It should last a long time.[p]I did break in my new small this afternoon with some chops. The dome was a breeze to open and close.[p]Carl T

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP and Carl T.
    Thats a defective band and hinge.
    If I were you, I would call BGE directly at 1-800-989-EGGS and ask, no, not ask, demand (a purty please don't hurt) a new band and hinge assembly.
    Ask them to please, open the carton, check the movement for ease of motion, and then ship it to you. All metal parts are supposed to be warranteed for 5 years. No one should have this kind of difficulty, its beyond reason, and BGE, I would think, surely wants to know about it.
    I would think they (BGE) would put the hammer down on quality control with their contract manufacturer.[p]Just my opinon. I would sure like to see one of those band sets when you get the replacement.
    E.mail me directly with your results.
    C~W[p]