Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raichlen and shrimp

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been out all morning, and when I returned the dog and cats were watching The View. Saving themselves from being sent to their room without supper, they pointed out that Steve Raichlen was preparing a shrimp for grilling.[p]I got in too late to see what ingredients Raichlen used in his marinade, and the animals hadn't taken notes. Anybody see the show and/or know of the recipe?[p]TIA
Ken

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Ken, not sure if this is the one, however Mr. Google found this one from Food and Wine June '06 and the View is usually very current. Hope it helps. Even if it is not, I enjoy sugar cane skewers and am going to try it.[p] Shrimp, Grilled, Sugarcane, Vietnamese-Style
    [p]24 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
    4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    3 Tbs sugar
    2 large shallots, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
    3 Tbs fresh lime juice
    1 tsp freshly ground pepper
    3 Stalks fresh lemongrass, tender inner white bulbs only, thinly sliced crosswise
    1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
    12 sugarcane swizzle sticks (see Note)
    3 Tbs chopped peanuts
    3 Tbs coarsely chopped cilantro
    ********Vietnamese Dipping Sauce*******
    One 2-inch piece of carrot
    2 Cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbs sugar
    1/2 cup warm water
    1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 Tbs white vinegar
    1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced

*****Shrimp Marinade******
    1 In a food processor, combine the garlic, sugar, shallots, fish sauce, lime juice and pepper. Add the lemongrass and the 1/4 cup of vegetable oil; process to a puree. Arrange the shrimp in a large, shallow glass dish in a single layer and pour the marinade on top; turn the shrimp to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
    2 Light a grill. Cut each sugarcane stick in half on a sharp diagonal so each piece has a sharp point. Scrape off most of the marinade. Working with the shrimp's natural curl, use a small, sharp knife to make 2 slits—one near the tail end and one near the head. Thread a sugarcane stick through the slits; the shrimp should lie flat. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
    3 Grill the shrimp over a hot fire, brushing them once or twice with oil, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and sprinkle the peanuts and cilantro on top. Serve the shrimp with the Vietnamese Dipping Sauce.
    *****Vietnamese Dipping Sauce*****
    1 Slice the carrot lengthwise with a sturdy vegetable peeler. Stack the slices and cut lengthwise into very fine julienne strips.
    2 In a bowl, mash the garlic with the sugar. Add the water, fish sauce, lime juice, vinegar, Thai chile and carrots and stir well.
    *****MAKE AHEAD*****
    1 The lemongrass marinade can be refrigerated overnight.
    *****NOTES*****
    1 Sugarcane swizzle sticks are available in the fruit department of many large supermarkets. Alternatively, look for canned sugarcane in syrup at Asian markets; you'll have to drain the sugarcane and cut it into lengthwise sticks with a sharp knife.

Servings: 4
    Preparation time: 40 minutes

Recipe Type
    Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Steve Raichlen[p]Source: Food * Wine, June '06, Internet[p]WINE These sweet-salty shrimp go perfectly with a white wine full of tropical fruit and a touch of spice—which is what winemakers create by blending Gewürztraminer and Riesling. Produced under the South Australian sun, Rosemount's 2005 Traminer Riesling suggests tangerines and lychees, with notes of spice and a lightly sweet finish.

[p]

[ul][li]http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/vietnamese-style-jumbo-shrimp-on-sugarcane[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Richard,
    That could be it - all I saw was a pan of shrimps with something looking like chopped cilantro being poured over.[p]Thanks,
    Ken

• bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Here is a link to the View's website with the recap for yesterday's show and they list several recipes. I hope this helps..[p]http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/episodes/2006/1.html[p]
    Steve