Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

To mop or not to mop?

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know with the egg that mopping is not necessary, but I am wondering if it would add more flavor to a brisket or pork butt. The pork butts I have made have been good, but they have not been as full-flavored as I would like. The outside part of the pork tastes great, but the inside part is pretty plain tasting. The same with briskets. The flavor is just not penetrating deeply enough into the meat. I am planning to make a brisket tomorrow, so I'll try mopping/basting it periodically, and see what happens. Has anyone else compared the results of mopping versus not?

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Frank, generally IMHO, no! Moping requires opening and closing your dome, and you will require a much longer cook. Most of the briskets and boston butts are done with rubs and preliminary mustard or marinates. Such as Jamacian Jerks. Others may differ, but personally I don't mop a Butt or brisket.
    C~W[p]