Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket, but no polder - help?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]I plan to celebrate New Year's Day with a 9 pound chunk o' chest, but am polderless. I've seen cooking time estimates that range from 1.5 to 3 hours per pound at 250 degrees. Can anyone provide some advice on my best cooking-time for tender brisket? I've got fire bricks and a good sized drip pan at the ready.[p]Best regards,
Peter

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Peter H,
    You can tell a lot with a fork, but with the wide swings in times with different chunk-o-chests, it is tricky to estimate with timing. Do you have any kind of meat thermometer???[p]If not, with a 9 pounder at 250, I would try a fork test after 15 hours. You should be able to twist the fork after inserting, and you will not be able to lift it off the grate with a fork. My guess is you are looking at 20 hours. But if you have a turbo-brisket like Cat gets, it'll be ready in 15! You'll be fine without a polder...just allow plenty of extra time. If it is done early, wrapping in foil, towels and a warm cooler will keep it hot for several hours.[p]Hope that helps. Happy New Year!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ