Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Home

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Despite the jet lag, I had to fire up the egg and toss on a pepper/coffee rubbed flank steak. I inhaled about half of it with 2 tomatoes and a glass of my favorite sauvignon blanc. I just HAD to have some real food. If I see one more sausage or schnitzel, I'm going to scream. I'm also in severe vegetable deprivation. Potato and head lettuce are not my mainstay veggies.[p]BUT (major but here)...after spending 5 days at a vineyard sampling mostly Reisling, there is one thing I've gotta agree with them on one thing. CA wines are too high in alcohol content. I sat and sipped wine for HOURS almost every night for the past week without feeling sick, getting a hangover, anything. Tonight I downed the SB (Kunde) and immediately felt heavy-headed. Checked the bottle. 13% alcohol. Most of the Reislings were in the 9-10 range MAX. Reds I expect to be that high, but for a white...nah. Anyway..that was my learning experience of the week.[p]Oh...and the car is nice also. Should be here in about 6 weeks or so. Missed youse guys...and my Charmin...and the free refills on coffee...and free water at the table...and....

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    mollyshark,
    What car did you buy? -RP

• mollyshark
    Options
    AZRP,[p]A BMW 650 convert. This one mostly for AlexShark. Took European Delivery on it and spent the week putting miles on it. The Autobahn definitely breaks in a car. We were cruising around 90 and being passed by everything from 911s to Honda Civics. My little black Z4 goes away the first week of August. What I WANTED to bring home was one of those 2-seater Smart Cars. I'm sure we could have just bought a seat for one. Cute or WHAT! Think I'd better look into more garage space. Seem to have this...umm...weakness.[p]mShark
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Nice! -RP

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Welcome home kid![p]Sorry to hear you were forced to sip wine for hours. It must have been torture

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Did a tour in Italy a couple years ago and had virtually unlimited wine - never felt tipsy and never had a hangover. Found that the wines didn't have sulfites there - they are added as preservatives in the US and in wines sent to the US - and that causes much of the negative reaction. The alcohol content of wines is derived mostly from the sugar content prior to fermentation - I doubt that the difference between 10% and 13% is going to be a big deal since you'd likely get sick of drinking before the effect kicked in.
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Haggis,[p]Interesting thought. I'll send my Germany guy an e and see if they add anything. You could be right on that![p]mSchark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Haggis,
    rememeber though, there's often three or four times the level of sulfites in a green salad than in a glass of wine....[p]much of our enjoyment/appreciation of wine(or beer, foods, etc.) is due to the surroundings and company we are in. it always tastes better 'there' than here. no matter where 'there' or 'here'.[p]it's like the sunday comics. no one laughs at the sunday comics when they are reading them alone.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Please tell us more about the pepper/coffee rub you used on the flank steak.

• mollyshark
    Options
    BobS,[p]It's the rub usually used on pork tenderloins, but I've been using it on beef for ages. Have done it at several eggfests and always get rave reviews. Equal parts black pepper, turbinado, kosher salt, and coffee. Whoosh it like mad in a grinder (or blender or a food processor). Spray steak with OO, sprinkle on this stuff. It's quick and it's yummy. I make a huge batch and just keep it in a plastic container.[p]mShark
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Thanks a bunch. That sounds good.[p]

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Pardon a dumb question, but what coffee do you use??[p]Beans? Fresh ground? Freeze dried?[p]Tanks
  • FlatEric
    FlatEric Posts: 56
    Options
    stike,
    It is not often I can stomach more than 6-7 salads in a night!! Glasses of wine.... now thats a bet I will book.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    FlatEric,
    one salad is four glasses tho...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante