Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Question

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,[p]I've used my new egg a few times (5) and I've been very happy with the results. (I a rookie for sure) Egg is smarter than I... Anyway, I have seen alot of pictures on this site of people cooking on their eggs. Many of the gaskets look like new!!! My gasket isn't burnt to a crisp or anything, but it's definately darker than when it was new. Also the inside of the egg is quite dark as well. The ceramic has darkened up quite alot. Is this normal, or did I screw something up??? Any thoughts would be most appreciated...

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Mark,
    New people with new Eggs = new looking gaskets :>)
    Mine is fried to a crisp. The inside of my egg is blacker than the ace of spades....kinda flakey even...time to scrape it.[p]Black Egg equals happy Egg.[p]Blackend gasket equals pyro :>)[p]Seriously your egg is fine. It will darken and "season" till it is basically black. The gasket is too I suspect.

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    BGE4.jpg
    <p />Mark,[p]My egg was dark inside until I roasted a chicken last night. It now has a lighter coloured coating all over the inside of the egg (even on the grill surface). [p]But the finger test shows the truth! I've noticed this before with the lump I'm currently using which is made from coconut shells in Malaysia. [p]While I don't clean the inside of my egg I am very careful with the gasket. I'm about as far as it is possible to get from a replacement gasket.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,
    I've seen something similar when I tried the extruded coconut lump from Kamado. -RP

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Thank you for your comments... I was wondering if the 800 degree searing temps were ruining this beautiful machine.[p]I've seen pics of eggs where people are using FIREPLACE gasket material as a replacement for the BGE Gasket... Does this work? Is it a good idea?[p]
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Mark,
    After one year, my gasket is getting darker, almost black in the one spot I have a slight leak. The ceramic is all black and I had to scrape some crustys off recently. I have only done a few TREX (searing temp) cooks though. Most of my cooks have been in the 250-500 range. [p]Hope this helps.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,
    I did see a comment from the Naked whiz site about white ash from coconut lump in his lump reviews.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas