Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg was so hot it was sweating

Options
Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going through BGE Forum withdrawals as well. First my ISP had problems and then the forum itself. Thanks W.M.K. for getting it cleared up.
Anyway, Christmas eve dinner was London broil and grilled shrimp. The LB was marinaded for 24 hrs. in Mike's Dad's marinade (off GFW's site) and then at 750° for 3/3/7. The shrimp was devided in two batches. One marinaded in Italian dressing and the other in lemon juice and spinkled w/ lemon pepper. Soaked for about three hours and skewered and grilled at 400° for a couple of minute per side after LB was off. The LB was rare and very tasty. The Italian shrimp was wonderful, but the lemon pepper shrimp soaked up to much lemon juice.
This was my first time w/ a temp of over 500°. I started the fire this time using the Tim's starter cube under the trivet trick. After the dome temp hit about 600°, I noticed that the outside of the dome was beading up with water droplets. From about 700° and up the water was dripping off. My Egg looked like I used to when I played basketball. Is this a common occurance with high temp cooks, or should I be concerned?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Chipper,[p]No worries. The surface of your Egg is slightly porous and the sweating is normal for uncovered Eggs.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Chipper, you may have accumulated some moisture in the ceramics and not to be too concerned about it. Now that your heating it up its natural for the ceramics to expunge the moisture either in droplets or steam. I noticed my nearly 5 year old large in a vapor of steam the other day, and close examination shows tiny pinholes in the glaze. Doesn't worry me a bit.
    As far as starting fires under the grates, we have been doing that from the early days of the forum 4 years ago. Not sure of the origin anymore. Any method either with paper wads, weber cubes or BGE firestarters or with chunks cut from firestarter logs. Its a great way to get either a fire going or to heat up a frozen dome on a ceramic cooker.
    You can also invert a aluminum reflector with a 100 watt or larger bulb in it to thaw out the domes. Half hour and your free to open the dome. Watch the temp rise with your dome thermometer.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, ya beat me again rascal..! :-) I talk too much!
    C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I cheated. I was typing with both thumbs :-).[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, that does beat 1 finger...:-)[p]
  • Chipper
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the response. Sorry, I didn't mean to give false credit. I think one of his posts was where I picked up this trick for starting high temp fires. I normally use an electric starter and have had trouble getting over 500°. Happy new year wishes![p]Chip

• Chipper
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks for the reply. [p]Happy New Year to you and your family.
    Chip

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Chipper, no problem...over the years we (including TimM) have fired up the BGE every-which-way but upside down. It's a "family" business here. :-)
    And now that I think about it...someone did try to fire it up backwards....Happy New Year
    C~W[p]