Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying hamburgers again!

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daughter and granddaughter(cant eat a burger yet, still sucking a bottle...formula!) are coming for dinner tomorrow and she has requested burgers!!!Dang!!!! The only thing I haven't got right on the egg!
Thanks to all you out there,and I read them all... hope I get it this time!
Ok, have a thermapen(cost me a pretty penny here in Canada aya!), but will not cook to 135... seems pretty rare to me! so shooting for about about 160? then going to "butcher" and asking for "80-20", cooking at about 500, flipping once and then I think I might dwell for a couple mins. Sound about right?
Well, will let you know how they turned out!
Thanks EVERYONE for all your help!
Gayle

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    smokn gramma G,always cook burgers to 160 degrees to ensure the eradication of E-Coli.Also, you could use a 70-30 mix if you wish, but that is a lot of fat. I cook em' @400 degrees for 7-8 minutes a side, only flip once. I think it will go well, Good Luck

• smokn gramma g
    Options
    Pit Boss,
    Thanks, someone on the forum told me to cook to 135 for a juicy burger...eeew! My patties are about an inch give or take.
    Thanks again! I appreciate all the help!
    Gayle

• Unknown
    Options
    I use 80% lean ground meat. I sprinkle in some sweet basil flakes for extra flavor. I add a medium minced onion to my batch. I actually mince the onion well first in my small food procesor, then I add the salt, pepper, and a few good shakes of sweet basil leaves (dried) in the mixing bowl. Maybe 1/2 to 1 tblsp of basil according to your taste. I then mix this all up well and then I add in my 4 to 6 pound package of ground beef. I cook my burgers at ~350 for about 10 minutes on one side. I then flip 'em and I cook them another 8 minutes or so. I then shut down all vents and I let them dwell for a good five to seven minutes to finish cooking. This is the time to add the cheese to them if your guest's want cheeseburgers. The onion helps keep the burgers extra moist and the sweet basil adds a very nice flavor. I usually cook up a batch every few weeks. My portion control is my metal one cup measuring cup. I vacuum seal the left overs for quick easy meals later on. I add a few hickory chunks for smoke flavor right before the burgers go on the grill. Good luck! John

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    smokn gramma G,[p]I'll cook beef steaks and roasts to rare and medium rare, but not burgers...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    smokn gramma G,
    I do them at 250º, direct raised grid, for 45 min, flip at 20.
    Just a touch of Wooster, salt & pepper, guava wood for smoke. 80/20 ground chuck. Pull at 160. If you can wait for the slow cook, these are the best! Mike

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    smokn gramma G,[p]
    FYI- cooks Illustrated Magazine has a good art. on burgers on the grill- [p]Goal: make a well done burger that is not a dry brick.[p]In a nut shell - they added 1 slice of chopped up white bread (no crust) and 2 tablespoons of milk to the 80% lean cround beef. Here is the link.[p]http://www.cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp[p]look for the "cook's extra" box ( right side of the screen about 1/3 of the way down) and type in code - 7063 or 7062 for other grilled burger recipies.[p]Will be trying these out today on the parent's non-BGE charcoal grill.[p]Will report later if they are as good as claimed by C.I. mag.

[ul][li]cooks Illustrated grilled Burger[/ul]
  • Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    smokn gramma G, In the AM To one pound of ground, grass fed, local beef I add 2 tbls of wochestershire sauce, 2 tbls of olive oil, 1/4 tsp dried mustard, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp of tabascos smoked chipolete sauce, 1/4 tsp garlic powder. I make three patties out of the 1 pound of meat. I drizzel a a very little bit of olive oil on the the outside and dust with Dizzy Pig Red Eye. I work the meat as little as possible. Burgers stay in the fridge for the day. Cook direct, charcoal to the top of the fire ring, grill extender on. I get the grill level temp to 325 using my guru. Let egg sit for about 1/2 hour so that everyting is at a nice even 325. Remove the guru open up the draft to get the coals glowing while I get the burgers which have been on the counter for about 1/2 an hour. Put the burgers on and shut down the draft 96.5% cook for 4 Minutes on the first side, flip, lots of local VT chedder onto burger then 6 minutes on the second side. Comes out just about medium. I do not eat burgers anywhere but home. Good luck . FF
  • Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    WOW,[p]Burgers were great. I uses the Cook's Illustrated bacon burger from the web site mentioned in my last post.[p]Cooked direct over Kingsford briquetts, no idea how hot the fire was, their P.O.$. cheap grill has no therm. on it so it was about 40 briquetts heated in a chimney starter w/ some soaked mesquite chips over them. Cook grid apx. 2.5 inches above coals. [p]Cooked 4 min each side. Gave a 2 min rest, on the bun, in the mouth. Yum. [p]Burgers were juicy w/ nice grill marks. Only change to the C.I. method was to add some chopped red onion.[p]I too have had trouble w/ burgers in the BGE but I think that I'll be using the bread/egg trick every time. This time I also handled the meat very gently, in the past I have man-handled the burgers, this time I gently formed the patties and put a thumb sized dimple in the center. Burgers were described as "fluffy and light". Treat your meat gently.- Always good advice I guess.[p]My mother says she also uses the bread/milk trick for meat balls, meat loaf and other ground beef dishes.[p]Worth a try.[p][p]

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    smokn gramma G,
    I cook my burgers at about 300-350 with a chunk of wood for smoke (if you have sugar maple, use that!) I cook on the first side about 7-8 minutes then flip and check temp after another 6 minutes. I pull them when they reach 148 degrees and wrap them all in foil for about 5-10 minutes to let them finish cooking, which they peak in temp about 155-160 if wrapped tight, then wrapped in a dish towel, then placed in a small cooler to retain the heat.