Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's everyone cooking this weekend?

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's always fun to hear what everyone is doing on the weekends. Here's our menu:[p]Saturday[p]Seared Grouper Cheeks with Minorcan Seville Orange and Datil Pepper Rub
Homemade Sweet Tomato Pasta with Garlic, Oil, Lemon and Parsley
Caesar Salad[p]Sunday[p]Creole Chicken Drumsticks
Butternut Squash with Cherry Pear Compote
Roasted Onions
Watermelon Chunks[p]Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend![p]Tonia
:~)[p][p]

Comments

• QBabe,just finished eating chicken wings with raspberry chipotle marinade/sauce. Yummy. Now for the big day on Sunday.......18 slabs of baby back ribs, my own rub, guava smoked. Freeze tomorrow evening, then FedEx them 2nd day air on Monday to Plainfield, Indiana for a bunch of hungry chimney sweeps to eat Thursday. All they will have to do is warm up in a conventional oven, since I can't make the meeting.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    QBabe,[p]Salmon last night, shrimp & mussels tonight, not sure what's for actual dinner Sunday, but I'm getting #40 pounds of brisket out of the way, then playing assistant pit boss Monday doing 2 lambs and a case of butts. [p]Probably a big salad will taste good after that.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    QBabe,[p]I've got some sweet potatoes slices on right now (from the dizzy pig website). As soon as they're done, I've got some beautiful fresh swordfish going on. I should have pictures in a couple hours.[p]-Herm
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    QBabe,
    I picked tomatos from my garden this morning and I'm roasting them in the Egg with some onion and pancetta. This will be a rustic sauce for some penne. -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    QBabe,
    I,I,I,I,I went out to dinner tonight. Ribeye and twice baked tator on Sunday.[p]Mike

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    QBabe,
    that's a great sounding menu![p]tonight we're having twice-cooked (last night's)
    angus top sirloin cubed and stir-fried.
    tommorow's the 6lb butt that just went on...
    HS

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    I am supposed to be making chateaubriand tomorrow for an early dinner.[p]Any tips??? [p]anybody?
  • QBabe
    AlaskanC,[p]I've never done it, but basically, it's just beef tenderloin with a bernaise sauce, yes? I'd sear the tenderloin on all sides, then roast until it's medium rare. Beef tenderloin on the egg is outstanding, especially if you have any oak wood to smoke with, just don't overcook it.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    QBabe,
    DianeQ baked potatoes and roasted a chick in the egg for tonight. Nice. I had worked late so she cooked. She also made two blueberry pies in the kitchen oven. Very nice. I like vanilla ice cream with a big slice of blueberry pie.[p]Tomorrow will be pork porterhouses and a creamy blue cheese dressing salad on the side. Just the usual good ol' comfort food.[p]Your cookin sounds fantastic.
    Clay

• AlaskanC,
    here is a link to how i do them. .. . basically a trex method....i wouldn't do much to it other than rubbing it with olive oil and a little salt/pepper or dizzy cowlick....about the only way to screw it up is to overcook it... .

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    QBabe,
    Just put in a 16# brisket packer covered with mustard, dizzy and bacon. Yea, it's for tomorrow night.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    QBabe,
    BTW tonight is a beerbutt chicken on the weber because the lady likes crunchy skin and the egg is busy.

• QBabe,
    just finished a dinner of raising the steaks brisket burgers. ..served with grilled polenta . .. most eggcellent!![p]was watching my girlfriend giada this morning and here is what i'm doing tomorrow for dinner. . it looked great, and i plan on doing it in the egg of course.. .[p]Crab and Ricotta Cannelloni Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis [p]1 box (8 ounces) cannelloni or manicotti pasta (about 12 shells)
    1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
    1 egg yolk
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 pound lump crabmeat
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    Bechamel Sauce, recipe follows [p]
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
    In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, 3/4 cup Parmesan, egg yolk, basil, crab, salt, and pepper. [p]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. [p]Fill the cannelloni with the crab mixture and place in a buttered baking dish. Top the filled cannelloni with the Bechamel Sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately. [p][p]Bechamel Sauce:
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups whole milk, warmed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup freshly ground white pepper
    Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, smooth, and creamy, about 10 minutes (do not allow the sauce to boil). Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cool and then cover and refrigerate.) [p]Yield: about 4 cups [p] [p]

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    QBabe,[p]Tonight we had grilled pork chops and zucchini squash. My chop had some Swamp Venom and my wife's had fresh chopped rosemary, lemon pepper, and some garlic salt. Desert was homemade apple crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.[p]Tomorrow will be brats from the egg for lunch and some abts. Tomorrow night I'm not sure just yet. We may have wiggle wiggle aka chili mac (not made on the egg). Jane will be cooking for her Dad and we usually have a meal of whatever she's fxing as she makes a lot.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    07_08_2.jpg
    <p />QBabe,[p]I made two small filets, but sadly, they were done indoors this evening (didn't have access to grill...I gotta takes what I can gets these days).[p]Used Raising the Steaks and seared the heck out of them on a cast iron grill pan. Meanwhile, cooked some of drbbq's low fat french fries from his most recent book, which were very good. Topped these off with some brocolli and cheese plus a nice cabernet sauvignon.[p]Not on the Egg, but pretty tasty, nonetheless.[p]Happy Saturday,
    Cornfed

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    Yes!
    When is dinner?
    Bob
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Mike

• AlaskanC
    Tonia - yeah, I'm sure it's easy![p]*shaking in my boots*[p]I do thank you much for the tips - I am sure I will be checking in yet again for more help!
    My husband sent me back to the store for another one, because he doesn't think that one is going to be enough.[p]Great.

• AlaskanC
    Max - so briefly, is it a low & slow kind of roast, or is it a blast furnace one?
    I'm just trying to figure out when to put the bugger(s) on for an early (4:00pm dinner), and at what temp.[p]teach me Obi Wan!!

• AlaskanC,
    read the link. ...how much does your chateaubriand weigh??. . . i would definitely trex it. . .couple of minutes per side at 750+, 20 minute rest while you get your egg down to 400 degrees, roast it till its done (may only take about 10 minutes or 30 minutes depending on weight)...then let rest under loose tent of foil for about 5 - 10 minutes, then slice thick and serve. ...

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Cornfed,[p]Hey Dude, how's it going?[p]Can you give me a holler when you have a chance?[p]thanks
  • AlaskanC
    Max - are you serious? 750? The last time I did that I melted my gasket!!
    I've got two tenderloins/ chateaubriands that come up to about 6lbs total. At $10.65 per lb. I don't want to screw this up! And more than anything else I don't want to look like a total boob...

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    AZRP,
    This was the finest pasta dishes we have ever tasted. -RP

• QBabe
    Cornfed,[p]Sounds good. We debated filets for last night and even bought some really creamy bleu cheese to top them with, but then when we got to the seafood store and saw the grouper cheeks in the case ($6.99 lb vs 15.99 lb for the grouper filets), we bought up all they had and switched gears.[p]Happy Sunday!
    Tonia

• QBabe
    EggRacer,[p]I haven't had pork chops in ages...sounds good.[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Sounds great. The new pasta recipe we tried last night was the hit of the night for me. After making the dough for the tomato pasta and rolling and cutting the dough, it was really a simple recipe. Just olive oil, lemon zest, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper that got tossed with the pasta as soon as it came out of the pot. [p]Tonia

• QBabe
    wobin,[p]How's that brisket doing?[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    AZRP,[p]So what's the recipe? [p]Tonia

• QBabe
    ClayQ,[p]Sounds like a great lineup. [p]Tonia