Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

CAT....This Butt's For You!

GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
butt012599.jpg
<p />Complying with Cat's request to share last night's cook with her and knowing she only had a sausage for dinner, I made some pictures just for her to enjoy. Cat, it was worth every freezing minute![p]Put this rascal on at 7pm last night with a dome temp of 240* and checked on it a few times before going to bed around midnight. When I awoke this morning the outside weather conditions were 19* with winds at 15-20 mph and a wind chill of -10. I made a hot pot of coffee and grabbed a cup as I reluctantly went out to check on Humpty. All night long and with extreme adverse temps, Humpty was puffing away at 230*. Only a 10* drop after 12 hours of cooking. I plugged the Polder in and found the internal temp to be 156*. This BGE cooker is astounding![p]As the morning moved forward and the Polder slowly climbed it was apparent that the butt was going to finish right on time. I was right, 12:00 Noon the internal temp went to 200*. The pictures above will tell you the rest of the story. [p]Total cooking time ended up at 17 hours and the butt weighed in at 5.3lbs prior to cooking. [p]Cat, get out there and light that egg! If I can do it so can you and there is no further need in holding out. The rest of the guys here were right, it was fun. The real fun comes in knowing you can cook year round with the egg when most other cookers get only 6 months use at best.

Comments