Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Altitude

Options
Blue Grass
Blue Grass Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have moved from Florida to Maggie Valley, NC and will be cooking at about 3500 ft. What adjustments, if any, do I need to make to cooking ribs today?

Comments

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    BlueGrass,[p]As it's not as hot in Maggie Valley it should require less beer.[p]We have a cabin west of you and I've not noticed a big difference in cooks. I don't do much baking in my egg though - it may depend on what you are cooking. I suppose that since water boils at a lower temperature at altitude that perhaps the juices and fat in the meat would do so as well - which might prolong your cook a bit but given all the other variations in a rib cook I'm not sure one would notice...[p]RE

• tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    BlueGrass,
    We live at 5000 feet. I have not done any baking, but the major differance I see is in the settings on the door and the vent. I seem to have to open them more. I guess that is not amazing since the oxygen content is lower. I think you will get your own settings after a few cooks. Our boiling point is 203 degrees, but I have not seen a significant differance in cooking times. Baking might be a differant question, however.....tom

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    BlueGrass,
    I just got back from Linville Falls, NC for a family reunion. I took my large egg. For the 4th, I cooked 14 pounds of pork butt and 6 racks of ribs. I had the egg cooking for 24 hours nonstop. 19 hours for the butts and 5 hours for the ribs between 225 and 250 degrees. I didnt notice any difference in the settings from my normal cooking in piedmont NC. Good luck and enjoy. BTW, when we left Friday morning to come home, it was 53 degrees, felt great.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BlueGrass,
    Just remember to adjust for the altitude when you calibrate your themometer. -RP

• Eggcitable Boy
    Options
    tomo,[p]You are correct on the temperature at which water 'boils' at a 5000 foot elevation approx. 203 degrees. A general rule of thumb is a 2 degree decrease in boiling temperature for every 1000 foot increase in elevation. Here in Colorado Springs at 6000 feet, water 'boils' at approx. 201 degrees.
    However, you are incorrect on your assumption that it is due to the oxygen content being lower. There is the same amount of oxygen in the air we breath world wide, be it at the top of Mt. Everest or in the base of Death Valley, approx. 21% oxygen content. The real difference is due to the amount of atmospheric pressure that is placed on those oxygen molecules in a given location. The higher the elevation, the lower the pressure, thus the lower boiling point. Just trying to set the record straight........happy egging...............Eggcitable Boy

• tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Eggcitable Boy,
    You are quite correct. As a retired physicist, I should have known better. I was not thinking. I guess that is what happens when you retire. I stand corrected. Thanks...tom

• rex clingan
    Options
    Depends on the units used. As weight percent, it does not vary with altitude. Expressed as mass density, grams O2 per liter, it does diminish with altitude.