Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pork didn't do well

Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guess I goofed, but over the weekend tried a pork shoulder and Boston Butt on my med BGE. Put them both on the V-rack, brought the temp down to about 250 and used some Jack Daniels wood chips soaked in water. Cooked them for about 8 hours at 250, and they looked great. Only problem was you couldn't pull the pork apart with a tow truck. Had to slice it and that isn't what I wanted. Pork weighed in at 12 pounds total.
What did I do wrong?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Tom,
    Bottom line is you didn't cook them long enough if the total time was only 8 hours. Assuming each piece was 6lbs you needed to cook them for 12 hours or until they reached an internal temp of 200°. Rule of thumb for pulled pork is 2 hours per pound.[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Tom,
    What was the internal temp of the meat when you took it off the cooker and tried to pull it? You can't just go by time, you must have a temp reading of the product for best results.[p]Should be anywhere from 195-205 according to the butt experts on this forum.

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Tom, Ditto what Kelly Keefe and meinbmw said. It should have been on a minimum of 12 hrs, and your internal temp was not out of the plateau. Check out North Carolina Style Pulled Pork, Elder Ward Style and Pulled Pork, Naked Whiz Style, both on the Naked Whiz's recipe section at the link below.

[ul][li]TNW's pulled pork tutorials[/ul]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Bearclaws.jpg
    <p />A pair of these are handy as well. ;-)