Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

bandera

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im thinking of purchasing a NB Bandera as my first smoker. Can anyone tell me the good and bad of this kind of smoker?

Comments

• Wis. bbq head,
    From a fellow Wis. BBQer, Put the money toward a Big Green Egg. I have made some good food on a bandera type cooker but, for our climate nothing but a Ceramic cooker can be used year round. You will give up some grill space but a Egg is so much more versatile, and easy to use.

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Wis. bbq head:[p]Try the link and ask your question again. Them folks can give you good advice on metal smokers.

[ul][li]The BBQ Forum[/ul]
  • MopMop Posts: 496
    Wis. bbq head, I have both styles and the Egg is certainly the one for the cold temps....It Makes some kick-ass wings too!
    The metal cooker is good too...
    If you strictly want to grill then get the Bandera...
    The Egg is limited in it`s capacity but it more than makes up in quality and ease of fire tending![p]I borrowed a Weber Smokey Mountain off of a neighbor and it was just cool out and found it a devil to keep heated...
    The Egg is unaware of the cold.....constant steady temps and really juicy food....[p]My metal cooker will sit till the nicer weather comes back and even then I imagine it`ll get used for grilling large amounts of food only....[p]Roger!

• AlanAlan Posts: 72
    Wis. bbq head,[p]I have both an egg and a bandera for now - I probably will sell the bandera eventually. If you go to Egroups, there is a group dedicated to the bandera. There is a lot of good info there, especially about some modifications to make it better.[p]The bandera works well for quantity cooking. You can't beat it if you are cooking 2 or 3 turkeys, or a lot of chicken breast. It does well for ribs as well. All in all, it's a first class smoker, especially for the price ( about 1/2 the $ of a large egg) [p]Being a metal smoker, though, fire control is much harder in bad weather ( cold or rain ). You also use more fuel, and it requires more attention during cooking.[p]I found low temperature control (~200) to be hard to do. Maybe I just never mastered the technique. I have no problems doing that on the egg. 225-250 temps were very easy to do, although it takes some practice.[p]If your budget won't support an egg, you won't go wrong with the bandera.[p]Cheeers,
    Alan