Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pull pork before transport?

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
edited 11:03PM in EggHead Forum
Hi yall. I guess most of the folks are doing better things than sitting at their computer on this special weekend! [p]Cooking 2 small butts, a 3.5 and a 4.5 pounder. One for our neighbor, and one for Christmas lunch at Mom's. I was trying to figure out if I should pull the meat tonight to take up to Mom's and reheat, or if I should transport it whole, reheat and then pull????[p]thanks for any tips, and Happy Holidays.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
·

Comments

• Nature Boy,
    i cant say I have anything better to do other than cook a turkey and sit in front of my 'pooter .[p]either way would work,..if youre a procrastinator then do it later. If you are a go getter pull it before hand. I cooked a 4 pounder for 6 hours 225-250 and am just going to pull it at teh familys house.[p]Good luck

·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Nature Boy,
    Pull it now and nuke it tomorrow. I like to put in some of my dipping sauce in with the cold pork and nuke them together.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Thanks JJ and Alt.
    Great idea to reheat with the sauce too. I will pull it tonight when it is done (and maybe woof down a sammich too). They have been on since 8, and I am hoping they are done by 5.[p]Merry Christmas

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]I vote for transporting whole, warming, and pulling once you get to West Virginney.[p]Reheat tip: Place some hot water in a pyrex glass pan and turn the oven to 500º. Once the water is boiling good, quickly place the butt in a glass container covered with foil in the oven on a rack above the water. After a couple of minutes adjust the oven to 300º to reheat. Using this steam method for pizza, butt, etc., seems to eliminate the normal drying experienced with oven reheating.[p]Merry Christmas and have a safe journey!

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]JJ is right on, pull it now. I did a butt about a week ago, pulled it while warm (easier than cold) and froze the pulled pork. We served it at the party last night and reheated it in a crock pot and added sauce. The microwave works just as well and in less time.[p]Merry Xmas to you and all Egg'ers[p]Tim
    ·
    Howdy Darryll.
    That idea sounds interesting, and I would like to try it. But I think I'll be rolling into West by-god Virginny right about lunchtime, so the pre-pulled version is sounding pretty appealing![p]Thanks much for jumping in with your method. Wishing you and your beautiful family a great holiday.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
    Tim M,
    Okeee dokee!!
    Merry Christmas to you too!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • Nature Boy,
    I vote, pull it now (right after its cooled some) and then re-heat it later! That's what we did Thursday with the 60lbs of butt & 60lbs of brisket. I had the butts in 5 shallow pans and the briskets in another 5 shallow pans. I then poured 2 cans of room temp. coke on each pan and sealed them each with aluminum foil. We put them back on an "iron bottom" cooker and heated them for 4 hrs at 250 - 275 degrees. You'll never know you used coke instead of water! The coke helps the meat retain its natural moisture too! Believe me, it works and works well![p]Have a GREAT Christmas and enjoy your feast![p]Dr. Chicken

·