Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt help

Options
digger65
digger65 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey y'all,[p]This is our first overnight with 2 7lb boston butts and I forsee disaster....I there hope??? Went on at 7:30 last night, 230-250 temp. All was well when we went to be around midnight. Woke up at 3 am and fire was out (mistake #1). Took whole thing apart to get coals going again and did not wrap butts with foil/hold in cooler (mistake #2 ??). The internal temp of butts went from 152 to 135 during the 30-40 minutes I had them sitting out. Back on the grill and temp steady at 4 am. Up again at 7 and temp at 151 and at 8:45 still at 151. We are due to eat at 1 this afternoon & I had planned on butts being done around 10-11 and then into cooler. I've raised the temp to 275 but we are kind of itching to raise to 300 or higher. Can we do this, or would this be mistake #3? Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated, especially since everyone is getting geared up for good eats (I hope) and drink. Happy 4th.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    digger65,
    Wrap them in foil and kick the temp up to 325° and that will speed up the cook.
    Larry

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    digger65,[p]Hopefully you won't have any fire issues in the future, but anytime you are relighting or rebuilding a fire, move your bounty into the oven at 250°. Then you have time to let your new fire burn a while and time for any smoke to settle down. The oven works too if your fire just flat burns out an hour or two before the meat is done. It doesen't know the difference and you most likley can't tell the difference.[p]Happy 4th a28000c5.gif
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    YB,
    Yeah I vote will Larry. You will be fine work out kicks next time. Party don't stress.
    EW