Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Temp Control

JSpringJSpring Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg for about 2 weeks now and I'm lovin' it! I can tell that there's definately a learning curve to get anywhere near an egg-spert, but that's the case with everything worth while! I've enjoyed reading the collective wisdom here on the forums too.

I've been pretty successful with temp control, but I was wondering about some of your approaches. So far, I 've been doing most of the adjustment with the lower vent, leaving the daisy-wheel mostly open at temps over 300, and closing it only when I've got the bottom vent within 1/4" - 1/2" open.

My thought is that it seems better to keep the top open further than the bottom so as not to restrict the airflow at the top, keep the air moving through the egg. However, I seem to be going through lump faster than everything seems to indicate I should. Could this be why?

Or, am I just totally overthinking this?

Thanks!