Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Temp Control

JSpringJSpring Posts: 13
edited 4:02PM in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg for about 2 weeks now and I'm lovin' it! I can tell that there's definately a learning curve to get anywhere near an egg-spert, but that's the case with everything worth while! I've enjoyed reading the collective wisdom here on the forums too.

I've been pretty successful with temp control, but I was wondering about some of your approaches. So far, I 've been doing most of the adjustment with the lower vent, leaving the daisy-wheel mostly open at temps over 300, and closing it only when I've got the bottom vent within 1/4" - 1/2" open.

My thought is that it seems better to keep the top open further than the bottom so as not to restrict the airflow at the top, keep the air moving through the egg. However, I seem to be going through lump faster than everything seems to indicate I should. Could this be why?

Or, am I just totally overthinking this?