Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib times

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife decided that we would have a prime rib (bone in) for Christmas Day.
From all I can gather from the forum I need to cook in a rack at about 350* to an internal temp of 140* Will put rub of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
My questions:
I understand that the cook time is about 15-20 min. per pound?
Indirect?
Direct?
Drip pan?
Happy Hollidays to All[p]Carey

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sundown,
    A v-rack and a drip pan works great. Can't help too much with your times.
    Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Sundown,[p]Cooking time using min/lb tends to be less accurate on prime rib (it's not that good anyway) than when this timing as used on birds as many factors effect the cooking time (fat cap size (if even present), bone thickness, chine bones present, size of the bones, marbling of the meat, ect.). Prime rib, being the very nice cut that it is, needs you to cook it to when it is ready (internal temp only), rather than when you are ready to eat. The finished meal will keep well, covered in a cooler.[p]I like to cook it direct, using a 250°F dome temp. I flip the roast every 30-45 minutes to expose all sides of the meal to the fire - ending up with the bone side down. I figure about 45 min/lb, and have waited for the meal to finish as much as I have moved it to a cooler to wait for us. Larger cuts finish faster than the timing formula. A larger fat cap, larger bones, and chine bones present will add to the cooking time, but also add to the flavor of the finished meal.[p]The meal can be cooked at 250°F in a rack over a drip pan, avoiding the flipping. When the internal temperature reaches about 130°F, remove the probe (so not to destory it) and open both vents to let the Egg breathe. The temp will rise, providing a sear to the surface.[p]Sue and I both send our best wishes to you and yours,
    Spin