Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chips v. Pellets

Options
Schneid
Schneid Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the BGE scene thanks to Christmas---opened her early because the Christmas bird will be a byproduct. I have some smoking questions: Should I use wood chips or pellets? (And I know brand names are discouraged, but) any particular chips/pellets better than the rest? And for pecan chips---is it the wood or the discarded nutshell that is the source of the smoke?
Holiday wishes to all!

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Schneid, I`m new to the Egg as well but not that new to using smoke wood....can I suggest using "chunks" instead of "chips or pellets"....
    I have good luck with chunks, they don`t seem to explode into flames at the first gasp of air upon opening the lid..
    No need to soak the chunks either....
    The jury is still out on bark removal or not!
    I remove whats loose, thats all....
    Just my two cents worth...
    Roger![p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Schneid,[p]Welcome to the Egg family and forum. Your waistline is about to grow :-).[p]Chunks, chips, and pellets are the wood itself (bark included) and never contain the shell of the fruit. Chunks will produce a longer, lower intensity of smoke. Chips will produce a shorter, stronger smoke. I hear pellets produce a smoke similar to chips, but have yet to use them. Pellets do come in more smoke flavors.[p]With no disrespect for chunk users, I tend to prefer to use chips over chunks (I do use chunks with stronger meats). I tend to smoke early in the cook when the Egg is heating up and the meal is still cool as this provides the best penetration of the smoke flavor into the meal - avoiding the smoke "bite". The only way to use chips is to well soak them (overnight is best), and then well drain them (you want soaked wood, not wet wood to put the fire out).[p]Thanks for the wishes and we return the same to you and yours. Holler if we can be of help in your endeavors.[p]Spin

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Schneid,
    I've smoked meats a lot longer than I've had my Eggs. I used pecan shells for 2 years, because that was all that was available to me at the time! Let me tell you, they were a pain in the rear! We had to shell too many pecans in order to get enough "chips" to soak, then they floated and were a bugger to get wet! They did work though! Stay with real chips or chunks! It will be a whole lot easier!
    If you can buy smokin' wood in 2 cu. ft. bags, you can cut your own chunks at about 1/10 the price of those small bags of chips or chunks! Just a suggestion![p]Also, Welcome to the forum. It is a great bunch of people and a treasure chest of a source for information! You are gona love it almost as much as you love your Egg![p]Merry Christmas to you and your family! We'll all look forward to hearing from you as you try out your Egg![p]Dr. Chicken