Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Putting the dome back on

Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somebody helped me load my Egg back in the mini-van yesterday, but they didn't realize that lifting from the hinge was a bad idea. So now I need to re-seat the dome. I seem to remember reading here that there are good ways and bad ways to do this. I don't trust my memory, and I'm not sure how to search for the answer to this question.[p]Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I hope everyone's having a great pre-4th weekend!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0415.jpg
    <p />Eggtuary,
    This method using a couple clamps and a 2 x 4 worked for me. First you loosen the bolts of course - in fact you may even have to go buy new stainless steel one in the event your bent the present ones in tightening like you should have.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    P1010047.jpg
    <p />Eggtuary,[p]I second Ron's suggestion![p]If you're by yourself...this is the ticket!!!!!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Eggtuary,
    In case you don't happen to have long bar clamps handy, try
    holding the back of the dome down while you tighten the band
    bolts. I've found in assembling eggs that the straighter the bands are around the egg, the less likely you are to cause the dome to be uneven.
    I put a flashlight inside and check for light around the
    felt at the end of tightening.
    It may take a few times if you don't have those clamps.[p]Grillnut