Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any ideas on substituting a tri-tip in a recipe

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,894
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The meat in my most favorite meal is a piece of flank steak. After an overnight marinate I sear it at 650 for a mere 3 minutes per side. I am thinking of substituting a tri-tip. Any notion out there if tri-tip will cook quickly like that or will it turn to shoe leather? Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RRP,
    The tri is thicker so it will take a little more time than the flank. The last couple I did, I used the hot tub method on and they cooked up in about 15 minutes at 400 direct. -RP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    AZRP, the key to this cook though is the searing at the high temp. Somewhere I have it in my mind that the tri-tip gets tough but I don't know why I think that!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    RRP,[p]
    If you want to sear it quickly at high temps you can cut it into steaks before cooking. They are too big and thick to cook that hot till done if whole. You have to apply the heat for too long and it will burn.[p]Cut the steaks just like you would if you were slicing it against the grain..... season or marinade as you like, and sear away.[p]They do have a different flavor to me though the Tri tip seams more "buttery" for lack of a better explination.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RRP,[p]I guess you could take a fillet knife and carefully slice it mid thickness. that would give you two pieces half as thick. This way, they would take the marinade easier and cook faster too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    RRP, the cook I posted last night was precut tri-tip from Costco. When eating, I remind myself it is just a $5 piece of meat, but a damn flavorful $5 peice of meat at that. If you are worried about it coming out tough, cut the pieces thinner against the grain when plating. tom

• Unknown
    Options
    RRP,
    tri-tip is a naturally tender cut of beef that is part of the sirloin, It can be done low and slow or t-rexed. The last one I did I seared at 650 for 3 minutes each side fliped it back to the 1st side, shut the vents down and let it dwell until it got to 130 internal. Total time was 12 - 13 minutes. Take it off grill, cover for 10 minutes than slice thin across the grain. unique beefy taste with texture.