Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help... Cooking Pork 'rear' butt instead

Brayon
Brayon Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys,

You know, there are regions in this worlds that doesn't know much about goodies such as pulled pork. Here in Ottawa, I already have problem finding brisket, but now the latest quest was to find a whole pork butt.

I asked the butcher for pork butt. He didn't seem to know much about it. With French translation which might not helped, he found out he would sell me a 15 pound pork "butt". Butt here refers to the rear end of the pig. He thought it would be ok for pulled pork even though I don't think he really knew a lot about pulled pork.

So I am picking this thing up in couple hours, so no pictures of it yet and no idea of what it will look like. Do any of you guys know if there is something good to do about it? Any special trimming? Shall I cut it in 2 to make it 2 7ish pound and refer to "real shoulder butt" cooking time? Or else, would it take 20 hours*2 to cook it all?

Let's make something good out of "this". ;-)