Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Damper won't close all the way

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. Well, I bought my first BIG GREEN EGG! I have the Large Big Green Egg. I assembled the egg, but I can't get the bottom damper to close all the way, there is about a 1/4 inch opening when I close it. Is this normal? If not, what is wrong? Thanks, Doug

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Doug,
    Check the groves the door sides in either one or both are dinged or just slightly bent, use a flat blade scre driver to pry it open just slightly where sticking top and bottom or else you have a piece of debri in grove. Slide same screw driver back and forth until it stays same depth all the way top and bottom.
    Elder Ward

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Doug,[p]Do you have the spark screen in this new Egg? Its new enough that some dealers install it in the wrong way.[p]If so: the spark screen should be underneath the solid vent door. Also, the tabs that are used to open the screen should be on the left side while the solid door has its tab on the right side. Both should close beneath the raised tabs on the stainless frame that holds them.
  • Doug
    Options
    Haggis, I do have the new Big Green Egg. I remember the Dealer telling me that this was the new Green Egg and it had an updated bottom Damper. It does have a metal mesh type screen under the solid vent door. I will check it out tomorrow morning. Thank you very much for the tip. I will keep you posted.

• Doug
    Options
    elder ward, Thank you for the advice. I will check it out tomorrow morning. What a Great Forum. Not only is the Big Green Awesome, but the Big Green Egg People are Awesome as well. I can't wait to attend some of the Big Green Egg Festivals. Just take it easy on the Newbie. :) Thanks guys.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Doug,
    we are all newbies to some part of this and with rare execption no one willing tries to make others feel less than wanted and loved. Not everyone is able to use words in a kind and gentle way as few of us are word smiths. so some times it may come across harsher than we intend but that is because all of us are human. Carl Ward

• Unknown
    Options
    Doug,[p]This is an easy fix, I had the same problem when I got mine and found the answer on this forum. In my case the solid door was under the screen door and it should be the other way around. The screen should be under the solid door. To fix this all I had to do was slide the solid door back far enough to allow it to be slid back over the top of the screen door.[p]Is that as clear as mud?[p]Ray
  • Doug
    Options
    elder ward, when I said, "take it easy on the Newbie", I meant when I show up an Egg Fest! I am a total Newbie to the World of the Big Green Egg. :) I have read through a large number of posts, and you guys are GREAT cooks! I can't wait to learn from you guys. It will be a lot of fun! :)[p]I still have not been able to resolve the gap in the bottom damper. The screen mesh is on the inside, the solid door on the outside, the screen mesh handles are on the left, the solid door handles on the right. Is it possible that the screen mesh door was cut too big? I can't figure out that 1/4 inch gap.
  • gwesleyr
    gwesleyr Posts: 1
    Options
     said:
    The screen should be under the solid door. To fix this all I had to do was slide the solid door back far enough to allow it to be slid back over the top of the screen door.[p]Is that as clear as mud?[p]Ray
    I've been scratching my head on this one for a year.  Indeed an easy fix...just wish I had all that left over charcoal that burned up over the last year!
  • rejiii
    rejiii Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the tip to ensure the solid damper closes completely.  I was about to disassemble the egg to repair it.  The 5 second solution discussed here saved me an hour or so of useless disassembly and reassembly.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Hi @rejiii and welcome to the forum!  Do you have a favorite cook?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI