Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Securing New/Improved Gasket

edbroedbro Posts: 300
edited 6:45PM in EggHead Forum
I have been using the new style gasket now for a couple of weeks and I am very impressed with it. At the suggestion of some from this forum, I used 3M spray adhesive to install it. But, last night when I went to open the lid, the gasket started to come up in a spot where I had dropped some sauce. The dome and bottom gaskets stuck together at that spot and the gasket sticking to the sauce drop was more secure than the glue holding the gasket on. Luckily I was able to feel it happening and fixed it before I took the whole gasket off. Then I felt around the entire gasket and I could feel that the gasket is not stuck very well. There seems to be some give when trying to move the gasket slightly on the ceramic.[p]So, has anybody else had trouble with the new gasket holding? Is there a better way to secure it? If this gets worse, can the gasket be pulled off in one piece and resecured?

Comments

  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    edbro,
    Oh boy, that does not sound good. Never heard of using 3M spray adhesive for gluing BGE gaskets, but then I'm not the gasket expert. I thought BGE has contact adhesive on it's gaskets and all you do is peel the protective tape off and stick the gasket down, then wait 24 hours to seat the gasket on tight.
    Clay

  • edbroedbro Posts: 300
    ClayQ,
    Here is the thread that talks about the spray adhesive:[p]

    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/271552.htm[/ul]
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    edbro,
    Thanks for the info. I'll be in the market for new gaskets for my large and mini and this new high temp gasket interests me although the regular felt gaskets have not been a problem with my cooks. [p]Wish I could swing over to help, I enjoy problem solving.[p]Here's my thoughts, at the risk you've "been there, done that, know that" and my inexperience;
    1. You have the correct adhesive(I'm assuming)for the job but there was not enough adhesive for a good bond,.... or excess adhesive and it formed a goo that slips during high heat conditions.
    2. The ceramic lip was not thoroughly cleaned before applying adhesive.
    3. Contact of the gasket material to the ceramic lip was made before the adhesive had time to dry.
    4. Contact adhesive needs to be applied to both surfaces being bonded and the fiberous material of the gasket needs several coatings in order for proper adhesion to take place, where as the ceramic surface would need less adhesive in proportion, so this goes back to 1., not enough adhesive.[p]Was there step by step directions that came with the new gasket?[p]Again, I wish I could help more. I'm sure you will get this stuck on good and you'll be BBQin again soon with help from BGE and others here on the forum.
    Clay [p]

  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    edbro,
    Re-reading your info, John advised applying contact spray on the ceramic surface first ...is there adhesive already on the new gasket as it comes out of the box? Hummmm, this is a sticky situation....

  • edbroedbro Posts: 300
    ClayQ,
    Yes, I put two coats of the adhesive on the ceramic. And, yes, there is glue on the gasket itself, just like the old ones. [p]It hasn't pulled off yet but it is not as secure as the old gaskets. I can kind of move the gasket around on the base slightly.

  • RRPRRP Posts: 20,987
    edbro,
    seeing Im the dude who posted the thread about the 3M to which you referenced go back and look at the last ones posted. First SuperDave said he uses that product in his job and is familiar enough with it to doubt the high temp capabilities which you have now proven for him. Next came the testimonial for using the Rutland adhesive. I myself have not redone my bottom gaskets which were pictured as failures. OTOH I repaired the limited spots on the dome seals with the 3M and have not had any problems since. Likewise since the new gasket is a bit thicker and more dense I seem to be have a good seal with just the one gasket. Furthermore while the gasket on the dome is subjected to high heat when open but not the same temp that the bottom does constantly which might explain the adhesive failure.

    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    edbro,
    The adhesive did not set properly if you can move the gasket around. "Cure" might be a better word. You should not be able to move the gasket no matter how hard you push on it. Contact adhesive is considered a permanent bond.[p]I don't know what's going on. Seems you have goo holding on the gasket when you should have a thin but very tuff cement gripping the new gasket. Contact BGE, they should help to get you up and running again.
    Good luck and keep 'em flying high!
    Clay

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.