Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

briskets

Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked a couple of small briskets on my XL Green Egg and they have all turned out tough as a board.[p]I am having company over and am trying to do it right this time. Any suggestions would be helpful.[p]Here is my plan:[p]-Double check the accuracy of the thermometer[p]-1 whole brisket about 12-15 LBS. Add rub. Any suggestions in this area would be helpful.[p]-Load up the lump and ignite the fire with a torch on one side of the lump. Next I add water drenched hickory chips (two handfuls). Would it be better to use chunks?[p]-Then I add the plate setter and wait about 25 minutes for the BGE to reach 225. Add brisket that has been out of the fridge for about 1 hr. Put the brisket in the middle of the BGE. I plan to start to add the meat at about 7:30 pm for dinner the next night.[p]-I plan to install a remote thermometer at about 1:30 until the meat reaches about 195 and then wrap with foil and place in the cooler for at least 1 hr.[p]Does this sound like a good plan? I don’t want to be embarrassed this time around. Please help!!

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Scott,[p]Yes, that sounds like a good plan as long as you don't trim all the fat off that brisket and you cook it fat side down.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Scott
    drbbq,[p]You probably like this method, as I borrowed most of these ideas from your 1st book. What rub would you recommend (name or page)? Most of my guests are coming from Texas.[p]-Scott
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Scott,
    A couple of pointers for you:
    If by small briskets you mean flats, you'll definitely do better with a whole packer, it's much easier to pack away leftovers than it is to rescue shoe leather. Don't worry if it doesn't seem to fit laid flat, you can curl it up or fold the thin edge a little to make it fit.[p]Chunks are better for big cuts if you've got them, plus some chunks or chips of cherry, and a small lump or two of mesquite if you've got any. [p]Rub the meat ahead of time and keep it cold IN the fridge right up til you're ready to put it in the Egg, you'll get more smoke on the meat.[p]Place the probe into the meat before you start to cook, it'll be much easier to make sure it's in the meat of the flat and not stuck in the deckle that separates the flat from the point.[p]And use a drip pan or foil on the platesetter to help keep it clean and lessen the fat dripping on the coals. [p]Other than that, it looks like you are good to go.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Scott,
    Make sure you buy USDA choice brisket. I've never had a select cut come out tender and moist. Some say use the bend test to buy your brisket. If your brisket bends in the middle with ease then it is a good chunk of beef. Good luck, Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Scott,
    i would also toss a pork butt on a raised grill over the brisket. i think the drippings add flavor and pulled pork always comes out good. freeze what you dont use or make abt's later. it takes some of the stress out of the occasion

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Scott
    Should I chips or chucks of hickory?[p]Any ideas for the rub?[p]