Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butts On BGE -- Rocky Start

digger65
digger65 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got off to a dismal start this a.m. with 2 7lb butts on the BGE -- not enough charcoal, let heat get too high & could not bring down with vents, and improvised set-up of place setter/drip pan (sold out when I went to buy). I bought the BGE last week, much to the dismay of my skeptical husband and, as such, I have 2 butts on the BGE and he has 2 on his old metal smoker. Of course, he is gone and I keep having to mess with the metal smoker, but in terms of the BGE, once I finally got the charcoal right and temp. regulated (steady 250 for the past 4 hrs - would prefer lower & think I can do better next time) all is well and it is a lovely smell out on the back patio. I suspect that BGE vs. husband's metal smoker will be a draw today/tomorrow, but I learned alot today and can't wait for the next time we fire this bad boy up -- I suspect this will be real soon, as everyone that we know that has ever had a meal cooked on the BGE is asking about the "christening" party.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    digger65,
    Yeah, I'll bet that once you get a few cooks under your belt, you'll have him crying "UNCLE!" Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    digger65,
    When its all said and done, how about posting the differences between the two. I suspect it will be mostly in the bark but I'm curious to hear what you find. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    digger65,
    cook him a steak and he'll quit yapping

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    digger65,
    Good luck and let us know how it come's out. Next time pitch an onion in with the lump and you will have a real fine aroma in the air.[p]250 indirect is fine as the grid temp will be less.[p]Regards,
    Bordello

• digger65
    digger65 Posts: 13
    AZRP,[p]Wouldn't you know -- posted my somewhat "self-satisfied" message (thinking I had a handle on things) & went down and my fire was out & am now trying to get temp. right again. I suspect that this will not be the time for a true comparison as we have the other smoker "down pat", however, I look forward to the day that I will be "grill master", as my husband always manages to hog the fire.[p]B
  • Capt. Dan
    Capt. Dan Posts: 14
    Bordello,
    Let's here more about the onion on the coals, thats a new one to me. Thanks, Dan

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Capt. Dan,
    Ha,
    It was new to me a few years ago until someone on the forum posted it. Sorry that I can't give credit where due.[p]Just take an onion, I cut mine in half or quarters so I can spread it out in the lump when doing a long cook, you can also throw it in whole right on the hot lump and the smell is wonderful. Try a sweet onion if it is available.[p]I try to buy em at Costco in bulk as I'm just burning them up, but, oh is it worth it. Give it a try and see what your nose tells you.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello