Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help on cooking a moose roast

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about 6 moose roasts in the freezer that will get freezer burnt, so gotta get cooking them. I usually do them in the crockpot. I have no idea how to cook them on the egg. Do I lay bacon over them? Indirect or direct?
I saw a venison recipe earlier... same as?[p]Any help, I sure could use it!

Comments

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    wow i actually cooked one 2 weeks ago and nobody beleived it was moose!!! they were all determined that it was beef.......all i did was laid the montreal steak spice pretty thick on all sides.got the egg at 375.....put on the grill direct more to one side added another pork rast wrapped in bacon and a foil bowl full of fresh mushrooms and onions.....oh yeah i added a few onion slices to the top of the roast at first.started at 4.30 and we were eating for 6.last 30 minutes i caked it with lady dianna sauce. will rotating it every 10 minutes.(i mostly left the moose roast cooking with out turning it all i did was laid in on the boney end facing grill! well don't know if this helps but man it was good!!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    smokn gramma G,[p]While I've never ever cooked moose, I'd guess that anything you would cook in a crockpot would be done low and slow on an egg.[p]You ask about laying bacon on them. Are the roasts really lean? I've done bison roasts, which had almost no fat. They tend to get dry really easy, so I brine them for half a day first, rub them, and then do them for at least 5 hours at around 200-210 degrees dome. That cooks them nicely, and there's little enough cartilage in them that I don't feel I need to do an all-night cook.[p]Or maybe just cut the moose into chunks, marinade and skewer.[p]Let us know how it goes.[p]gdenby