Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The ribs were a bust

Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried ribs direct on the BGE today. They were a bust. I cooked them way too long. How long should they be left on the Egg? I tried to look in the in the archives but I get a page error when I try to open one. Thanks for any help. Ray

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ray,
    Try this link. JJ's method works very well.
    Happy holidays

[ul][li]JJ's direct ribs[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Ray,[p] I was a die hard baby back rib fan, that was untill a made a mistake & picked up side ribs. I love the bady baks, but i found more meat & fat on the side. This was enough for me to try them again. Turned out, that they stayed moist & did come off the bone like I wanted. I cook my ribs at 300F with no heat deflector, just direct heat & turn ever 45mins or so. I read this on the form so time ago from J.J., seams to work for me. Try them again,I'm sure things with change.[p]Earl
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Ray,[p]There are many ways to do ribs and the Egg does them all very well - you just need to find the combination that "YOU" like best. In 3+ years with my Egg(s) I have tried ribs about a dozen ways. My web site will attest to that and you might notice that some of the pictures look obviously older (pre BGE Egg modifications). These are probably methods I tried a few times and passed over. [p]You need to find what result you like best and then adjust the cooking method to give it to you. For example, some want the fall-in-your-lap tenderness with meat that falls off as you approach it. You can't get that from direct cooking. Cooking direct gives a nice crust and a firmer piece of meat. Like Earl said, spare ribs are more apt to take direct heat than baby backs which like indirect better.[p]Tell us what you did, how they came out, and what you did and did not like - then we can suggest a different method to try next. It's fun experimenting with them too.[p]Tim M
    piggy1.gif

• Tim M, I'm getting my web site setup for my car washes. You and Gfw have some great stuff on there. I've got a guy designing mine is it real expensive to have eyes follow your curser and a pig that lands in your BGE?[p]CWM
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Car Wash Mike, it is only expensive if the eyes follow the pig into the grill! Or if the pig follows the cursor and the eyes go into the BGE :~]