Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone had their temp drop a little in the rain?

Options
Grillicious
Grillicious Posts: 347
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first butt this weekend, and it turned on perfect. But I noticed something I didn't expect when a little rain started. I hd lit the egg at 11:45pm and cruised into the temp I wanted, 230*. I cooked my first butt this weekend, and it turned on perfect. But I noticed something I didn't expect when a little rain started. I lit the egg at 11:45pm and cruised into the temp I wanted, 230*. After it stabilized there almost an hour, I put the butt on about 12:40am. At about 1:15am a storm can through, the wind kicked up causing the egg to climb to 240*. No biggy, I didn't make any adjustments but I kept an eye on it to make sure it didn't go any higher. A light rain was coming down, and then I noticed on the Maverick that temp was dropping. It ticked down to 220F before I made a little adjustment to get it back up. But all in all it dropped 20*. The daisy wheel was only half open, so very little rain could have come in that way. It didn't affect the cook at all, I'm just surprised it happened. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've cooked in the rain numerous times, but this is a first.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Grillicious,
    How sure are you it was the rain? A few times in Colorado winters I experienced a sudden temperature drop in the air: say 60 to 40 degrees within half an hour. That caused my dome temps to drop.[p]Ken

• Grillicious
    Options
    BlueSmoke, this is Austin, TX, and we don't get those kind of temperature drops. We barely get anything that could be described as winter. At most it dropped 10* as the front moved through. I doubt it was the rain, but I also doubt the outside temperature drop would have affected the inside of the egg enough to drop it 20*.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Grillicious,[p]In a word, yes. On my third cook, which I did just a few weeks ago, I had a chuck roast going for 2+ hours with a dome temp around 225. It began pouring rain, and I went out to see if water was getting in through the daisy wheel. It was, and so I stood there with my umbrella, trying to keep the water out. The rain was fierce for at least ten minutes (and the air temp dropped) and the dome began dropping. Eventually it went down to 210. By that time the rain had slacked off, so I cracked the dome to let more air in. The coals came back up, and I left it when it was back to 220. It stayed there through the next hour of much lighter rain.[p]
    gdenby

• Grillicious
    Options
    gdenby, that makes sense. The rain we had was not heavy, but it was definitely rain, not a mist or sprinkle. Maybe that was enough to do it. But as I said, I've cooked in rain before without this happening. Oh well, more of a curiousity than anything.