Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh-oh.....pork butt problem

Options
Newbs
Newbs Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I am doing my first pork butt cook...right now actually. Got two on my large. One 9lber and the other is 9.5lbs. Put em on last night at 8pm. Figured at the earliest they'd be done this morning by 9:30 and at the latest by around 3pm. Well they're still sitting there...
19 hours later. Dome temp steady at 230 degrees. Watched it for two hours last night. Went to bed. Got up at 4am. Still solid at 230. The internal temps are hovering around 158degrees-163degrees.
Not climbing. Perhaps I'm in the plateau but I thought they'd be done by now.
Have 21 people coming for dinner and I'm wondering if I can pull them off any sooner than the 195degree mark. Don't want to keep all the people waiting too long. If I have to wait...I have to wait...but what is the earliest I can remove them? Do I have to wait til they hit the 195 mark?[p]Thanks...[p]Newbs

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Newbs,[p]I did 4 8#'ers last weekend, had the same problem. I ended bumping up the temp to 320 for the last couple hours. That was a mistake. The two on the bottom got a little crispy on the bottom side. I'ld bump the temp to 275 and let it ride. And YES you can pull them before the 195 mark, but let it ride out as long as you can.[p]Scott

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Newbs,[p]By having your dome at 230°, your grate temp is 190° to 210°. If your target temp is 195° to 200°, it will take hours to get there. [p]You are right they are in the plateau. They have the flavor and the color by now, so I would leave the thermometer probes in them, wrap them in foil and get them into a 275° oven. Once the temp starts climbing, you can adjust the oven temp as needed (up or down)to match your finish time, minus an hour or two for resting in a cooler. The rest is VERY important.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    PS[p]For doneness, you don't always have to go by temperature either. You can also monitor the doneness by using a skewer to test for tenderness. If you can wiggle the bone and it slips easily and comes out clean, you are there. They are ready for the rest.[p]7c583015.jpg[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Newbs,[p]I've done a bunch of low-n-slow BBs this year....225 is an ideal low-n-slow dome temp for many cuts of meat....But I run my BBs at 250 to 275 degrees...indirect of course...And have had a reasonable amount of success...both in getting to the ideal 195 degree temp and taste / texture...[p]In the future you may want to consider bumping up your dome temps on BBs...They have a fair amount of inner fat and connective tissue...and they're hard to mess up...[p]Love dem butts and I cannot lie....lol[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL