Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a recipe for Carnitas?

Options
Saucy Sue
Saucy Sue Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kids coming over on Sunday for Father's Day, and one of them wants Carnitas. I don't even know what it is, but I bet someone out there does, and has a good recipe. I know that it's a pork dish, but that's all. sue

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Saucy Sue,[p]Here is one posted awhile back by thirdeye![p]Latin, Carnitas

Master Mason,PP works wonderfully for burritos and enchiladas too. I even use it as a base for my tamale filling.Generally the cooking method for Carnitas is either braising or baking until the pork is able to be shreaded. Usually the seasonings are salt and pepper and sometimes garlic and onion are added. Following shreading, the pork is baked until the edges are just crispy. The meat is served with side bowls of salsa, maybe a chili sauce, onion & cilantro so that you add whatever you like to the burrito. The roadside stands or Taco Trucks sell it by the pound and you buy fresh tortillas and build your own.So if you like you can return a tray of PP to the Egg or the oven for a litle while, and there is nothing wrong if you want to add some of your favorite Mexican spices to it at this time. I like using both flour and corn tortillas and if you have access to fresh masa (or want to deal with Masa Harina) you can make gorditas, as they are excellent too. They are thicker than corn tortillas and are fried on a griddle until lightly browned. I make them about 3" in diameter and use Mexican melting cheese on top of the carnitas & toppings.~thirdeye~

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: thirdeye[p]Source: BGE Forum, thirdeye, 03/26/06

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Saucy Sue,
    Carnitas are indeed a famous Mexican dish, but the real things are simply chunks of pork (pound plus sizes)that are cooked in rendered pork fat and then pulled apart and eaten as tacos. Even organ meat is included.[p]Typically they are cooked in a wash tub size pan (actually I think thet are wash tubs) over an open fire. They are not good for you but they taste GREAT![p]I have eaten carnitas in several restaurants in the US and have never found anything that resembled the real thing.[p]All that said, I am sure that some of the localized recipes produce a tasty product. I think that if you want to fix carnitas for your kids, you need a little more information about what they experienced.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Saucy Sue,
    Although this is not Carnitas, this may be less work and allow you to spend more time socializing. You are trading upfront work on tonight for time spent cooking on Sunday.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Carne Adobadas[/ul]