Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cat's Baby backs

CharlyCharly Posts: 23
edited 4:04AM in EggHead Forum
I wanted to do a couple of slabs of baby backs tomorrow using Cat's recipe.I've got all the ingredients for the rub except the black mustard seeds.All I see in the Penzeys catalog is yellow and brown.I was wondering if anybody knows where to get the black mustard seeds or if I can use a substitute.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
·

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Charly,[p]The black mustard seeds have become almost impossible to find. The brown mustard seed has a flavor that is very close to the black and makes a good substitute.[p]Spin

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Charly,[p]Black mustard seeds are rarely imported anymore. The brown ones will work just fine.[p]Cathy

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Spin,[p]Once more in unison...;-}[p]Cathy
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,855
    Charly, the brown work fine and I've followed that recipe three times - those are different for sure! In an earlier Penzeys catologue they stated that the black were no longer available as I recall and said the brown were essentially the same. Besides you're only using 1T anyway...

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • CharlyCharly Posts: 23
    Cat and Spin,
    Thanks,I've got the brown one's on hand.You two saved the day.

·
  • MopMop Posts: 496
    Charly, how are you?......is there anyway you can post the recipe for the ribs your talking about?
    Mop~

·
    Mop,[p]Here is the link to the recipe.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Cat's Ribs[/ul]
    ·
    Mop,[p]Here is the link to the recipe.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Cat's Ribs[/ul]
    ·
  • MopMop Posts: 496
    Thanks Spin, I`m gonna try to do them this week.....[p]Mop!

·
  • Charly, I've read that brown mustard seeds are also known as black. See link.

[ul][li]Mustard Seed[/ul]
    ·