Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Uncle Collin
Uncle Collin Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
UPS delivered my new cast iron grate about an hour ago. Is it necessary or advisable to season this grate before use. I think I have seen something on this recently but Google search did not bring up what I was looking for.
I have a rib eye steak marinating in a Basalmic Marinade and plan to put on the grill in about four hours.
Any advice on seasoning or not seasoning the cast iron grill will be appreciated

Comments

• Uncle Collin,[p] I have only had my new cast iron grate a few days (from local dealer) and have not cooked with it yet. My dealer advised coating it thoroughly with cooking oil which I plan to do. I also know this is the standard advice from Owner's Manuals of many steel smokers/cookers prior to use (wipe the entire unit and component pieces with vegetable (cooking) oil.
    I don't see how further 'seasoning' can help this type of rough, cast material much.[p]Tom B (EggSport)

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Uncle Collin,[p] If it's already seasoned the grates will be black in color and not the normal Iron Gray Color. If they are Iron Gray you need to season them.[p] IMHO opinion Bacon Grease is best, followed by Crisco and finally vegetable oil. When I buy a new cast iron cooking thing (not real often) I season them right after a nice bacon and egg breakfast. Coat all surfaces with the bacon grease. Put them in my regular over at 400-500 degs till they turn black and shut the oven off. Let the oven and the iron cool together. Just be sure to put something under the cast iron because the grease/shortening/oil will drip.[p] My $0.20 cents for what it's worth, but I have never had the coating come off unless I was stupid enough to leave it in the rain.
  • Uncle Collin,[p]I got a cast iron grate at the Waldorf eggfest and I just seasoned mine with regular cooking oil. I did it in my Weber but could have done it on the egg as well.[p]I brushed the grate, top and bottom with cooking oil and then seasoned for about 15 minutes around 400 degrees. I let it cool for about 1/2 hour and then did it again. [p]It appears to have worked since it more than 1 month later and I have no rust on the grate.[p]jake [p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Uncle Collin,
    this is just my opinion, but the first time you get it over 800 degrees, i believe any seasoning you put on it will burn off. i have never seasoned mine, if you wanted, you could cook some sausages on it, that would be the same as seasoning it imho

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Uncle Collin,
    where did you get your cast iron grate? is it a grate for cooking on? if so, i'd love to get one for my large BGE. can you tell me where you bought it? thanks.

• Uncle Collin,
    Thank you all for the advice. Replies were about what I thought I would receive, some vote to season and some do not. Mine is a good black color and so I beleive it was seasoned at the factory. I think I will wipe it down with crisco, light my fire early and let the grid sit at about 400 to 500 degrees for 30 minutes before cooking may steak.

• Uncle Collin,
    Where did you order your cast iron grate from?

• I RECENTLY TALKED TO A SALESMAN WHO DID NOT LIKE HIS CAST IRON GRATE. HE SAID THAT THE SEAR ON HIS STEAKS WENT TOO DEEP. ANY FEEDBACK?
  • George, I bought my cast iron grill from BGE Alanta,sometime known as the Mother Ship. I called them on the phone,700-934-5300, Monday June 12 about noon. It was delivered to me today Thursday June 15 just before noon by UPS. I live in Bryan Texas. My egg is fired up, my steak is marinating and will be going on grill to cook in about an hour.