Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What is a pork shank?

I came across a cut of meat in my local market labeled "pork shank". It had a bone in it and from the amount of marbelling it had it looked like it would be great fot the BGE.[p]Is anybody familiar with this cut of meat?

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    NB,
    Shanks are the ankles or legs of a hog. Not my favorite cuts.[p]Tim

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    NB,[p]Pork shank is the lower leg of the pig cut crosswise to produce rounds with a bone in the middle. The same cut on a cow is used for Osso Bucco. The meat tends to be a bit tough. Braising is the cooking method commonly used.[p]I've never tried the pork shank, but the cow is quite a treat.[p]Spin

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,387
    Tim M,
    Maybe good for soup eh??
    BTW, this particular NB is not me!
    Have a good one. Gettin ready to hit the road for West by-god.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Never had it on the Egg but I had Osso Bucco at my mom's house last week when I went back to St Louis to visit. Like Spin said, the beef shanks is what she made them with. She cooked them for a long time in a dutch oven and a lot of sauce to tenderize them. It's got a strong taste to the meat - not bad - different![p]Pork shanks are tough and in a soup would be the best place for them, I agree with you there.
    Have fun in Wva. Do you think of "Deliverance" everytime you go there??[p]Tim

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Deliverance? Why that would be Nawth Jawja Tim! Squeal! Squeal!

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,387
    Tim M,
    I love that movie! My folks live in the panhandle of WV which aint so backwoods. The area we go camping in the Allegheny mountains is a different story.....same feeling as the Deliverance setting though!! See if you can find Durbin WV on a map...in the east central part. That town is RAW![p]WV was a blast...the lamb and prime rib were awesome cooked on Junior, per JJ at 350. I put the prime rib on about 20 minutes after the lamb, and they were done at the same time! Mom made a killer potato casserole. Pumpkin pie and fresh made whipped cream for dessert.[p]Hope you had a great weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings