Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried an experiment Sunday

Options
Q-rious Tom
Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, no pics for this one![p]I was in the mood for some ABTs. But the jalapenos at the local mega-mart looked pretty sad -- wrinkled, dull, kinda soft and squidgy. So just what is an ABT? It's a stuffed pepper, grilled. What else do we stuff and grill? Tomatoes! And there were some nice-looking romas right by the peppers . . .[p]I sliced and seeded eight roma tomatoes while the cream cheese softened. I also stuffed some paper towel in the romas to soak up the excess juice.[p]I mixed one tsp of cayenne, one tsp of smoked powdered poblano, and a Tbs of smoked paprika with the cheese, and then did a more-or-less normal ABT prep. Sprinkled some with DP Redeye and some with a jamaican jerk rub I've got and grilled as normal.[p]The result tasted *very* good, enough so that I'll continue playing with the spices (could have used just a bit more heat).[p]The downside is that these don't seem to take well to refrigerating and reheating in a microwave; the romas give up the ghost at that point.

Comments

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    QriousTom,[p]Having never made ABT's (yet...) let me pose the question, when made from Jalapenos, do they take to refrig/microwaving well?[p]Thanks,[p]Phil
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    EggNerd,
    you didn't ask me but I think I may be a bit unusual in that I purposefully make batches of ABTs for the express purpose of having them as a daily snack until all gone. As a for instance I egged 20 "boats" last Thursday. Once cooled down I place them in a glass dish with a tight plastic lid and refrigerate. Then daily I have one or two. I nuke them on high for 14 seconds and they come back to life just fine! Only once did I have trouble with spoilage and that was like after 3 weeks a sign of mold appeared on the bacon on a couple ABTs. Otherwise I have had great success. hth

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    RRP,[p]Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear! I see some ABT's in this weekend cooks!!![p]Phil