Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time User: What Should I Smoke?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi-
I just got my large big green egg and am eager to try it as a smoker this weekend.Do any of you have suggestions for something that is relatively easy and hard to mess up? [p]Thanks in Advance[p]Brian McDaniel

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Brian McDaniel,
    Grilling probably is the easiest thing for first time...but it is not really smoking. Pork tenderloins, or steak comes to mind. Boston butts/pulled pork is pretty forgiving, and is pretty easy if you can keep your temp at 250 and you have 15-18 hours or so to complete the cook. [p]Let us know when you decide which way to go, and we'll walk you thru it!
    Have a good one.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Brian McDaniel,[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]How about a great steak. Start with a cut that is 1-1.25" thick. Give the steak a light sprinkle of salt and fresh cracked pepper on both sides. Fire your Egg up and get let it go to about 700°F. Put the steak(s) directly on the grill and close the dome. Wait 3 minutes. Open the Egg and flip. Wait 3 more minutes. Close the bottom vent totally and set the ceramic cap on the top. Wait 4 minutes. Take the cap off and open the bottom vent wide. Remove the steak(s) and serve. The result should be a medium rare steak. Add a minute to each timing if you prefer medium well.[p]To smoke the steak(s), add soaked and well drained wood chips (Jack Daniels is nice) directly on the fire when the dome temp reaches 175°F. Add the steak, close the top vent completely and leave the bottom vent wide open. When the temp reaches 200°F or the smoke subsides, remove the meal and open both vents wide to reach cooking temp. Cook as above.[p]Spin[p][p]