Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Trick

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I didn't have a big enough vessel in which to brine my 20 lb. Thanksgiving turkey. I did, however, have one of those big roasting bags leftover from last year. I put the turkey in the bag and poured in my brine. I worked all of the air out of the bag and tied it tightly. The turkey was completely immersed and in a much smaller space than using a big pot or bucket. I turned it over a couple of times during the next 24-hours just to be sure that the brine reached every nook and cranny.[p]Judging from the finished results, it worked!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Vanni Fucci,
    Makes sense - good idea.[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Vanni Fucci,
    MikeO used to do it that way too....until the accident! I tried it and it worked well....but ya gotta be careful!
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The accident? Sounds ominous.
  • Chipper
    Options
    Vanni Fucci,
    I brined two turkey breasts in the two gallon Ziplock freezer bags (one per bag) with a gallon of brine apiece. I stored them in my Igloo cooler with a couple of gallon jugs of ice. When I retrieved them after 24 hours, there was about a half inch of brine in the bottom of the cooler that had leaked out of the top corners of the Ziplocks. IMHO using bags for bining is ok, but keep them in a small contained space (like a cooler) to help prevent large messes.

• Chipper,[p]I put the bag containing the turkey in a tin foil roaster pan. There was a bit of leakage which was all contained by the pan. Once the turkey was on the grill, I cleaned up the roaster pan so I could transport the finished turkey later that afternoon.[p]I put everything in the refrigerator. Wish I would have thought about putting it outside in a cooler--that would have been much better.