Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

1st Butts on the Egg

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, we’ve (me and bw) had the egg for about two weeks now, and decided to bite the bullet and pull an all-nighter smoke. Purchased two butts in a bag (17#) at the local warehouse club for about $23.

There must be something wrong with me, but I actually poured open the bag and sorted out the large chunks for the bottom of the fire, as instructed by Elder Ward and TNW (your site deserves a Webby award). Next time I’ll probably do this in the garage- I was in a hurry. May want to get a bag of disposable gloves to avoid the Elvira look under the nails next time, too.
lump.jpg
Oh the humanity.

The next part, I believe is critical, and I have yet to find this on any websites. A clean temperature probe is essential. The probe must be cleaned in a proper antiseptic solution, preferably a bourbon for pork. The chef should consume the remainder before continuing. May want to clean it twice, before you put these on. probe.jpg

Put these on the fire at 8:30pm, probe went into the smaller of the two butts.
I woke up at 3:30 am, temp had dropped from around 230 to 200, dome temperature. Opened things up a wee bit and went to bed.
Here’s what they looked like in the morning, about 12 hours later (dome at 235, probe at 161):
butts.jpg

The smaller one was finally done at ~6:30 pm (22 hours later). Bigger one stayed on for about 10-15 mins longer. We wanted to get to eating, so rested in a foil tent for 15 mins before pulling. The larger one was wrapped in foil and pulled about an hour later.
cooked_butt.jpg

The larger butt seemed to have a little more fat and was more tender and juicy than the first. Maybe this has something to do with the longer rest time? Regardless, this went a lot better than I anticipated and tasted delicious. A big thank you to everyone on this forum for all of your comments and suggestions- I’m hooked!