Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butts on the Egg

Schrödinger's egg
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, we’ve (me and bw) had the egg for about two weeks now, and decided to bite the bullet and pull an all-nighter smoke. Purchased two butts in a bag (17#) at the local warehouse club for about $23.

There must be something wrong with me, but I actually poured open the bag and sorted out the large chunks for the bottom of the fire, as instructed by Elder Ward and TNW (your site deserves a Webby award). Next time I’ll probably do this in the garage- I was in a hurry. May want to get a bag of disposable gloves to avoid the Elvira look under the nails next time, too.
lump.jpg
Oh the humanity.

The next part, I believe is critical, and I have yet to find this on any websites. A clean temperature probe is essential. The probe must be cleaned in a proper antiseptic solution, preferably a bourbon for pork. The chef should consume the remainder before continuing. May want to clean it twice, before you put these on. probe.jpg

Put these on the fire at 8:30pm, probe went into the smaller of the two butts.
I woke up at 3:30 am, temp had dropped from around 230 to 200, dome temperature. Opened things up a wee bit and went to bed.
Here’s what they looked like in the morning, about 12 hours later (dome at 235, probe at 161):
butts.jpg

The smaller one was finally done at ~6:30 pm (22 hours later). Bigger one stayed on for about 10-15 mins longer. We wanted to get to eating, so rested in a foil tent for 15 mins before pulling. The larger one was wrapped in foil and pulled about an hour later.
cooked_butt.jpg

The larger butt seemed to have a little more fat and was more tender and juicy than the first. Maybe this has something to do with the longer rest time? Regardless, this went a lot better than I anticipated and tasted delicious. A big thank you to everyone on this forum for all of your comments and suggestions- I’m hooked!