Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injector recipe??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had excellent success smoking turkeys on the BGE for several years. I'd like to try injecting the bird this year but can't seem to find a good recipe...beyond just melted butter. Can anyone suggest/email me a recipe you've tried and can recommend? BTW...how much do you inject, where, etc.? Thanks!

Comments

• LennyD,[p]just stopped by and saw your inquiry about brining/injecting. The Tsar of Turkey (Shake) has a good, simple, tasty recipe for brining or injecting birds. I have used it several times and with great results. My only addition would be to double the amount of Honey.[p]Anyway, go to the KCBS Forum (Metalheads) and you'll see lots of flolks use Shake's recipe.[p]Go To: www.bbqsearch.com/search/22571.shtm[p]That's direct to his recipe/procedure for frying/smoking turks and will work in your egg.[p]Sespe Pete

• LennyD,[p]just stopped by and saw your inquiry about brining/injecting. The Tsar of Turkey (Shake) has a good, simple, tasty recipe for brining or injecting birds. I have used it several times and with great results. My only addition would be to double the amount of Honey.[p]Anyway, go to the KCBS Forum (Metalheads) and you'll see lots of folks use Shake's recipe.[p]Go To: www.bbqsearch.com/search/22571.shtm[p]That's direct to his recipe/procedure for frying/smoking turks and will work in your egg.[p]2 oz each leg, 2 oz each thigh, 4 oz each side of breast. Let cool after boiling up mixture. I stick mine in the freezer when short of time.[p]Sespe Pete

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Hey wassup there, Sespe Pete,
    I have heard great things about his brine...and a good feller and cook Shake is.. I'll give this a try. Pickling salt??? I remember that has another name...but forget which one?? Same as Kosher salt?[p]Thanks for popping in and suggesting that. We have a lot we can learn from yooz metalfolks.
    Happy T-giving.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sespe Pete,[p]Thanks for the info...I brined my turkeys for 24 hours (as I always do) but this time I injected them with a mixture of butter, a tiny bit o' liquid smoke, and 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning. They're still cooking as I write (one on the smoker, one in the oven), so I don't know yet how they'll taste, but they smell AWESOME thus far. Thanks to all for the postings and emails...

• LennyD,
    I used the Cajun Injector, Roasted Garlic, for two years now and get high compliments. I brother-in-law said he would come for Thanksgiving only if I prepared it like last year. I did, he came, we all enjoyed.[p]Cajun Injector marinades are available at many BBQ places and grocery stores. I have bought mine in Atlanta and Auburn, AL.