Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Effects from beer

RRPRRP Posts: 15,598
edited 11:01AM in EggHead Forum
I have cooked many chickens using beer in the cooking process. Also have made recipes which include beer. I read here to use beer as an overnight marinade for baby backs and have a rack cut and marinating now. I plan to rinse in the morning and rub with Gfw's Memphis rub and then follow his 3/1/1.5 which I've done successfully several time before. Now my question...what effect does beer have as a marinade? Flavor? or tenderize the meat/fat content?, or just waste good beer?
Ron
Dunlap, IL
·

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    S11_05_9913_40_01.jpg
    <p />RRP, depends on the beer - any thing less than Guiness is probably a waste of good beer. The picture abdthe page dates back to 11/99 - seems like a long time ago - I actually prefer the Memphis-Style rub in a plastic bag for about 12-24 houres. Just my thoughts and Good luck! :~}

[ul][li]Guinness/Apple Baby Back Ribs [/ul]
    ·
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]I agree with GFW on the taste, unless the beer is a stronger one, you probably will not notice it in the meal. Beer is mildly acidic and makes a great gentle tenderizer.[p]Spin

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Spin:[p]My experience has been that beer or wine are great marinates; yet on the BBQ FAQ mention is made NOT to use alcohol with fowl. No mention is made as why you shouldn't. Can anyone clear this up for me?
    ·
    djm5x9,[p]I would be very interested in learning why alcohol should be avoided in fowl marinades. Alcohol boils at 180°F and can be removed by heating the marinade. I did the bourbon chicken last weekend. Preperation included a 3 hour marination in the bourbon marinade.[p]Next time I will heat the marinade first. I will let you know if there is any difference.[p]Spin

·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Spin,
    In an ealier post you answered your own question, my brother. Alcohol is a tenderizer and fowl is extremely tender to begin with and the addition of alcohol would have a tendency to turn the meat into mush. Thereby losing its texture.
    Give my Sis, Sue a hug!!

·
    JJ,[p]It is amazing how easy it is to overlook the obvious. Thank you, my friend.[p]Sue sends here love,
    Spin

·