Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Ham Tips

Options
Rick
Rick Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Volunteered to smoke a ham on my BGE for Thanksgiving. Now what do I do? Help!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Rick, here is an idea posted by slomo last year...[p]Posted by SloMo on October 08, 1999 at 12:10:31: [p]In Reply to: Ham butt posted by Blu on October 08, 1999 at 09:28:43: [p]
    [p]Blu,
    Did a 19 lb. ham at Easter and 11 lb. this summer. Low & slow 200-220* till internal temp 160*. Placed pineapple slices on ham with cherries in holes. Last hour of cooking glazed with pear preserves and brown sugar. Mix pear preserves with hand mixer brush on ham sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook time 2+/- hrs/lb[p]A ham on the EGG is great and much better than Honey Baked, IMHO.[p]SloMo

Good luck![p]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Rick,
    Try to avoid one of those 'spiral cut' hams. They tend to fall apart and dry out a lot.
    JimW

• chuckwagon
    Options
    Rick,Iput myself in the same position as you. My ham is 19 lbs. If I go by Slomo's suggestion of 2hrs./lb. i'm too late getting it on. If you receive any more tips send me an e-mail. Hope our families are happy with the results.Have a good Thanksgiving. Charlie[p]