Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Roast - help please

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decide what to cook. [p]There is a roast advertised at the local butcher shop and a phone conversation with the butcher indicates that it is cut from the round and lean,similar to a Pike's Peak roast. He says they run about 4 pounds.[p]I am debating whether is should be cooked slowly and allowed to reach a internal temperature of perhaps 140 or whether it should be cooked to arrive at a internal of more like 160 - 170.[p]I am wondering if it would be best to use a rub on it or just let the natural smoke of the BGE handle that issue.[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated. I love the Forum.[p]Kyle[p]

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Kyle,
    This roasts sounds like an eye of round or bottom/top round roasts. This should be cooked low and slow at about 240/250 dome for a few hours. You should cook to an internal temp of 135 for rare. Put your favorite rub on it prior to cooking. Once it rested for at least 10 minutes slice thin against the grain for some wonderful sandwiches. Goodluck, Tom

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kyle,
    PIT BEEF. ..eye of the round (or any other round roast for that matter) is perfect for 'pit beef'. ..its a maryland/eastern shore thing.....[p]simply crank up your egg to 375 degrees with grid over inverted plate setter.. ..rub the roast heavily with kosher salt and any good beef rub (i love dizzy pig red eye express for this - cowlick is very good as well). .. .put the roast on till it hits about 125- 130 internal temps. . .won't take much more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours. . . .remove and let it rest for about 15 - 20 minutes under loose foil tent. ...big key here is to slice it very thin. . .shaved is best, and if you have an electric slicer, it will be very easy. ...serve it on good kaiser rolls with raw onions and either horseradish or bbq sauce.....great stuff... .[p]wessb also has a great pit beef pictorial (slightly different technique) on his web site www.wessb.com