Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long do I cook the 4 lb brisket?

Options
memphis egg
memphis egg Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't tell anyone in this town that I'm going to BBQ some beef.

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    MemphisEgg,[p]Boy, that's pretty small but I'd allow 1.25 to 2 hours per pound. I know it's a wide margin, but plan your cook for 2 hours (8 total) to be safe. When it's done, let it rest, foil wrapped, in a cooler until you are ready to eat. Humm, perhaps I'll do one for Trail Days tomorrow...[p]Hope this helps.
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    MemphisEgg,
    I did a 4.4 lb flat I picked up at Sam's this past weekend. I did it at a dome temp of 225. Took 15 hours. I foiled it at 165 internal temp and took it off at about 195. Then I wrapped the foiled brisket in newspaper and a towel and let it sit in a cooler for 2 hours or so. It turned out great - tender and juicy.[p]Brian

• Unknown
    Options
    I did one about the same size last weekend. On my medium with platesetter (legs up) with brisket on grill took about 7-1/2 hours at approx 275.

Cheers
  • Unknown
    Options
    I did one about the same size last weekend. On my medium with platesetter (legs up) with brisket on grill took about 7-1/2 hours at approx 275.

Cheers
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    BrianP,[p]Wow! 15 hours? Holy cow! That's almost 3.5 hours per pound! I've never had one go that long per pound. [p]Just goes to show that brisket is done when it's done!
  • Texas Geezer
    Options
    MemphisEgg, I attempted one even smaller about a week ago. I was very much surprised at how much longer it took than the rule-of-thumb 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound. I tentatively conclude that there's something non-linear in the standard equation of hrs per pound when you're dealing with a very small, tough cut of meat like brisket.

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    probably the explanation is that the dome temp was 225. This means the grate temp was probably 190-200. I remember reading that there is less room for error with cooking a brisket than pork butt and also the smaller pieces are a bit more difficult anyway so I wanted to make sure I didn't dry it out.[p]If you put it on the night before and want it for dinner, you have plenty of time to baby it.[p]Brian